Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to refresh, I want to use the best recommended paint all the way thru, primers etc. Also run thru the steps,clean sand etc, or is there a good article I can get refreshed again? TIA.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Having done custom painting for 30+ yrs, I have found that using any good brand name from start to finish is the way to go. PPG, Dupont, BASF, just to name a few are how I would start. I recommend sticking with ONE name from primer to finish clear. If you mix brand names, sometimes it can bite you in the *** down the road. The main thing with doing any paint job is preparation..........it is 95% of the paint job. If prep is shoddy, the paint will be too.

·
Registered
910 Posts
sunsetdart said:
Having done custom painting for 30+ yrs, I have found that using any good brand name from start to finish is the way to go. PPG, Dupont, BASF, just to name a few are how I would start. I recommend sticking with ONE name from primer to finish clear. If you mix brand names, sometimes it can bite you in the *** down the road. The main thing with doing any paint job is preparation..........it is 95% of the paint job. If prep is shoddy, the paint will be too.
Absoloutly!! :thumbup:

Also there is Sikkens.
Personally, I put PPG and Sikkens, at the top of the list.

But whatever you pick, stick with it, from the bottom up.
"Experience hath shewn", when you buy primer from one, ('cause it's less expensive), then paint from another, ('cause it's less expensive), and clear from yet another, ('cause it's less expensive), you'll have trouble later, and won't know exactly what caused it.
If you stick with one system from the ground up, you most likely won't have any trouble, and if you do, you can go back to the manufacturer, and they will do what it takes to help.

Thanx
Shorty

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great, thanks for the info! What is a good compound to use after wet sanding? Also I don't have a electric wheel either, what is a good one to buy (Not overly expensive) and what wheels for what,wool or sponge? Thanks again, Dana

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
58Apache said:
I totally respect these guy's experience and wouldn't dare talk against it, but I used BarryK's (contributor on this board) Southern Polyurethane paints and I'm very happy. The tech advice was incredible to include talking to me before, and while spraying!

http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd16/csmartin33/?action=view&current=Picture002.jpg
I totaly agree the best company I've ever delt with,hands down...I dont use anything else the products are as good or far superior as the best ones previously mentioned and much much cheaper. SPI rules

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.