Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seem to be a myriad of "Shift Kits" on the market. I'm leaning toward one from TransGo but the descriptions of each kit on Summit aren't that great. What is the difference between Transgo 400-3 and 400-3 Pro for one? Neither one says that it's full manual but I don't believe that.

I want the firmest teeth jarring shift possible, and have full manual shifts when I choose to. I also want auto mode in Drive but I don't known if that's possible with a very firm shift kit. Help me pick one out everyone. My vehicle is a very heavy 4500 lbs C1500 454 truck with a 2,800 rpm stall and 3.73 posi rear if that's of any importance.

·
Administrator
10,122 Posts
As far as Shift Kits , TransGo has that term trade marked . Only TransGo sells Shift Kits

You can not have "Full manual Control" with automatic shifts too. What you can have is a trans that will hold a gear to any RPM or down shift at any RPM..... BUT , the trans will not up-shift to 2nd or 3rd gear at a real low speed or at a full stop like a full manual shift trans will.

If you want max shift firmness, Raise the line pressure up , install only 2 check balls in the case. 1 in the bath tub area, the other in the recessed round hole area. Dual feed the direct clutch via center lip seal removed . Leave all return springs on the drum pistons

·
Administrator
10,122 Posts
454headache said:
Crosley, can the mods you suggest be done with the tranny in the vehicle?

Kinda hard to get at the clutch drum lip seals through the trans pan area.

If you want max shifts , the trans needs to be modified internally.

TransGo shift plate of the triple layer design will dual feed direct clutch with only the pan removed and the v-body removed too.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, I guess then I just want max firmness without removing the tranny out the vehicle. I'm very new to transmissions, my only experience being putting a B&M SHIFT KIT in my brother's Camaro years ago.

So to get the maximum amount of firmness I can get, I do not have to get a Shift Kit at all? Will I be able to get the same firmness from performing the valvebody modifications found in Jakeshoe's TH400 build tips as I would from a kit? The only difference being installing only two check balls instead of five.

My last question is where to put the two said check balls exactly? I'm looking TH400 Build Tips on here and he shows 5 check balls marked by X's. A picture would be worth a thousand words.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.