Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what mufflers do you guys think sound the best for a SB chevy?

and if you had to choose between flowmaster 30 series or super 40's what would you choose?

·
CLICK ON MY AVATAR
321 Posts
I have super 40's on my 67 nova.The sound really good(nice and loud).The 40's are not as loud in the car.The 30's are super loud inside and out.I'd say get the 40's.I got mine on ebay for $55 each.bm

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Sound the best is a relative term. I am past the point in my life when I am impressed with loud mufflers. IMO there is nothing that sounds better than a cammed SBC with a quality set of headers and quite low restriction mufflers. They do not have to be LOUD to be low restriction.

Vince

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
i agre with z28. my flwmaster 50 3 chambers on a 2.5 in dual system with a h, is too loud. quiet is awsome you can hear more engine sounds . like carb and header noises. girls like the hush. no sound hassles with land lord,or girlfreinds parents at night. you can hear a high quality stereo better.

what im getting at is 40's deltas are way to loud in my oppinion.
50 deltas will get old fast

i am told dynomax hemi super turbo are a exellent choice for quiet

·
CLICK ON MY AVATAR
321 Posts
I had the dynomax super turbo's.I like the 40 series delta's alot better!!!To each his own.bm

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Will your wife/girlfriend be riding in this car often?I have 40's on my SBC.2.5 inch straight back,true duals,no cats.Cats do quiet it down considerably,after the emissions testing went belly up here I had em yanked off and my wife complains that she has to turn up the radio too loud and still has trouble hearing at interstate speeds.I myself love the sound,but after a hard days work sometimes quiet is nice to.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Dynamax Hemi Turbos is what the local Meineke installed on my 34 when I told them I wanted performance and quite...I was not dissapointed. I know the person well that owns the local Meineke and he said this is the muffler Dynamax has been recommending when the customer asks for what I asked for.

Loud is plain RUDE. The comments about listening to your engine has real merit and is something all you LOUD geeks should consider:)

Vince

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have Hooker Aero Chambers on my 67 Camaro. At certain RPM range, usually cruising on the freeway they start resonating causing a headache and double vision :). At low RPMs they sound great.

On my El Camino I will be looking for a set of quiet high flowing mufflers.

Regards!
Denis
'67 Camaro RS
'69 El Camino

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have cammed 350 chevy in the g-body cutlass with hooker shorty headers. I used a magnaflow dual in/out with 2.5" pipe from the headers to the back. I went with this muffler because of the problem with the g-bodies and the tranny crossmemeber only having a hump of the right side. Anyways the muffler is basically a x-pipe with baffling and it sounds great no too loud. I think a big key to an exhaust sounding good is balancing the pipes.

·
CLICK ON MY AVATAR
321 Posts
I know what he meant...I just never heard of a sbc 350 refered to as a cammed 350.bm

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have purple hornies header mufflers on my 350sb and they sound real good. i was running flow masters,but the sound from my header mufflers sounds good.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
agreed,what sounds best is personal opinion...I prefer Dynomax Turbos personally, less noise & no loss in performance. Ive always felt if its that loud, it better be awfully fast. John

·
Registered
61 Posts
Robbie said:
I have purple hornies header mufflers on my 350sb and they sound real good. i was running flow masters,but the sound from my header mufflers sounds good.
Agreed. The question should be what are the best flowing mufflers, not the best sounding.

·
Registered
44 Posts
with my new engine, i was still using the old 2.5" pipes, h-pipe, and dual 40 series flows dumped before the axle.

it was WAY to loud for me. set off every alarm everywhere. it would rattle cars next to me at stop signs.

i used teh same piping and h-pipe and installed a set of magnaflow mufflers and i love them so much. when i first put them on, it could tell an immediate difference in performance, they flow so much more than the flowmasters did. they are a ton quiter and sound so much cleaner.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
mufflers

You could always move to Iowa. We dont have vehicle inspection here. Lots of cars with straight pipes on them.

And if you have cats on it, they do quiet them down a lot as well.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts