Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my 65 Impala daily driver, I'm going to swap in a GM Ram Jet 350 TPI crate engine and a stainless TPI tank from Rick's Hot Rod Shop. The tank normally comes with -6AN (3/8") supply & return lines for use with braided steel hoses to handle the 45 psi. My local parts shop tells me that rubber hoses clamped onto a barbed metal fuel line exist today that are designed for such TPI pressure. First, is this true? Second, if so, which is more reliable for a daily driver? I assume the AN hose, but maybe the O-ring connector would leak before the rubber hose. What about a compression fit connector w/o an O-ring?

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
I`ve heard there was rubber line out there that could support it and I`m sure there is, and I`ve seen it done with basic rubber hose, but only in very short sections, no more than 6 inches long, I didn`t trust it and told the owner of the car I didn`t, he got it off a car lot like that. However, for me to use it, it would have to say it was high pressure hose capable of handling 40 psi and up pressures before I would even consider it, even then I wouldn`t trust the made in china or mexico basic hose clamps to hold it. The braided line summit has, and I`m sure they give the fuel pressure rating on there web site.

·
Time is short, are you ready?
655 Posts
I have some high pressure fuel injection hose on my 81' Camaro. The Edelbrock Pro-Flo fuel injection package (P/N 3500) came with enough rubber hose to plumb from the fuel pump under the rear seats to the fuel filter under the hood. From there I had to buy some more from a local supply house. Pep Boys carried it a few years ago, so I am sure you can still get it. It is pricey, about $3.50/ft for the 3/8" dia. IIRC. So, my entire supply line is plumbed with high pressure hose, brass fittings and hose clamps. I used the original steel line as the return line to the tank, reworked of course at the tank.

As far as tough, try cutting it with a razor blade. After one or two cuts, get another blade ready. As far as the hose clamps, try pulling it off a barbed fitting after the clamp is loosened. You can't. Get another new razor blade and cut if off.

If you are not worried about looks, I think the high pressure hose is fine. It has worked fine for me for years now. But if you need a more detailed look, I would use custom bent hard lines with AN fittings, braided line in short sections, etc.

Good luck with your swap.

Ed www.edgesz28.com

·
Registered
35 Posts
hoses

try purchasing viton hose this is the same stuff inside the fuel tanks on f.i. vehicles between the pump and sending unit,try to limit your length to 12" on the whole vehicle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts