Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my 65 Impala daily driver, I'm going to swap in a GM Ram Jet 350 TPI crate engine and a stainless TPI tank from Rick's Hot Rod Shop. The tank normally comes with -6AN (3/8") supply & return lines for use with braided steel hoses to handle the 45 psi. My local parts shop tells me that rubber hoses clamped onto a barbed metal fuel line exist today that are designed for such TPI pressure. First, is this true? Second, if so, which is more reliable for a daily driver? I assume the AN hose, but maybe the O-ring connector would leak before the rubber hose. What about a compression fit connector w/o an O-ring?

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
I`ve heard there was rubber line out there that could support it and I`m sure there is, and I`ve seen it done with basic rubber hose, but only in very short sections, no more than 6 inches long, I didn`t trust it and told the owner of the car I didn`t, he got it off a car lot like that. However, for me to use it, it would have to say it was high pressure hose capable of handling 40 psi and up pressures before I would even consider it, even then I wouldn`t trust the made in china or mexico basic hose clamps to hold it. The braided line summit has, and I`m sure they give the fuel pressure rating on there web site.

·
Time is short, are you ready?
655 Posts
I have some high pressure fuel injection hose on my 81' Camaro. The Edelbrock Pro-Flo fuel injection package (P/N 3500) came with enough rubber hose to plumb from the fuel pump under the rear seats to the fuel filter under the hood. From there I had to buy some more from a local supply house. Pep Boys carried it a few years ago, so I am sure you can still get it. It is pricey, about $3.50/ft for the 3/8" dia. IIRC. So, my entire supply line is plumbed with high pressure hose, brass fittings and hose clamps. I used the original steel line as the return line to the tank, reworked of course at the tank.

As far as tough, try cutting it with a razor blade. After one or two cuts, get another blade ready. As far as the hose clamps, try pulling it off a barbed fitting after the clamp is loosened. You can't. Get another new razor blade and cut if off.

If you are not worried about looks, I think the high pressure hose is fine. It has worked fine for me for years now. But if you need a more detailed look, I would use custom bent hard lines with AN fittings, braided line in short sections, etc.

Good luck with your swap.

Ed www.edgesz28.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.