Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm finishing up my car, this weekend and I have a question to toss out to you guys. I painted my hood hinges body color and now I need to paint the springs. I think if I try to do them body color with base coat clear coat, the paint will crack when the hood is opened and closed a few times. what type of paint should I use or does anyone have a better suggestion for what I should do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you are correct, I fixed it, it's still early here, I did think about the powdercoating but wouldn't the heat in the oven cause the springs to lose their temper. nothing worse than an angry spring

·
Registered
12 Posts
No the springs will be fine Ive had my springs for my s10 powdercoated as well as the springer front end on my girls beach cruiser.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you paint your springs with BC/CC and they will not crack. BC/CC is flexible enough to be used on urethane bumpers which flex a lot more than springs. I put a piece of flat steel slighly longer than the closed length of the springs to keep them streched so that I could paint in between the coils. Worked great! Dan

·
Administrator
18,397 Posts
Whatever you do with them, I think you need to stretch them a little while painting, to ensure than paint gets in between the coils. Pehaps you could build a little jig to hold them stretched slightly.

·
Registered
103 Posts
best way to paint hood hinges

I am a production manager in a powder coating plant, I would powder coat the hinge and springs because of flex in the hinge it can crack. I painted cars for 40 years and have used flex additives to help but nothing beats properly aplyied powder coating, expecialy when it is free. you can do it your self in an oven in your yard.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The problem with powder coating is that the color won't match the hinge. Hood hinges extend less than an inch, and when that is divided into the number of coils on the spring, the deformation is negligible. Having said that, I wouldn't paint throttle springs because they would crack for sure. Dan

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
For what it is worth I took some rusty 40 year old Mustang front coils and sandblasted them, applied epoxy then bc/cc. That was a couple of years ago and these things still look great :)

·
Experienced Amateur
252 Posts
When I painted my springs, I just hooked one end on the floor jack and other end on the lifting arm to make it easy to stretch em out. I sandblasted em and sprayed em with DP90 and they havent cracked yet :thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts