Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question has most likely been asked but I have not found it on the site. What steps would I take to remove the suface rust on the hood of my 71 GMC. The rust pretty much covers the entire hood and is rather rough (very little paint left). Would I use a paint stripper or rust desolver before sanding, and if I paint it with epoxy primer, do I have to have every trace of rust off or will the epoxy seal to prevent rust from reappearing?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
get a blow up kiddie pool, fill it with water, put your hood in it, add some baking soda to the water and apply an electrical charge to the metal. it will dissolve the rust.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Tell me more!!

matt167 said:
get a blow up kiddie pool, fill it with water, put your hood in it, add some baking soda to the water and apply an electrical charge to the metal. it will dissolve the rust.
Can you go more in depth on this procedure? Thanks

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
MN48 said:
Can you go more in depth on this procedure? Thanks
ok, it is actully more of a farmer trick for removing rust from engine parts, such as crank shafts and such, on a large scale it would still work tho ( such as this hood ). I'm going to describe it as if your doing a crank shaft, some people will stick both leads in the water with the baking soda mixed in, works but you could also charge the crankshaft positivly and put the neg in the water, on a crank shaft, just wrap some stripped 2/12 romex ( actully, get the ground wire, save time ) around the end of the crankshaft and hang it in a drum of water/ baking soda with a rope, then connect the pos lead to the 2/12 romex, put the - lead ither on the drum or in the water. you can use a trickle charger as long as it does not have a float mode, if it provides 12v at all times then it will work, or a big battery charger set on a low setting, or a 12v battery, but with a battery you must enshure that voltage is dropped thru the resistance of the water ( or your just crossing terminals ) . you could enshure this by connecting a test light from the water to the 2/12 romex, it will light up and become a load on the battery, enshure that current is flowing thru the batt and there is voltage drop. normally none of this is a problem but batterys can explode, so take all precautions

1 - 6 of 6 Posts