Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have all my stuff in a garage, but I've recently had to move and now my less important stuff (yeah right, its all important) has to stay outside on a concrete pad. Right now all I have out there is an olds 403 and its tranny. I have it covered up tightly with a tarp, but I don't know if this is sufficient. It doesn't have a carb on it and I feel like I should bolt some type of a plate on the intake to cover it up better. What do you guys do when you have to keep stuff outside? Also, when I first put it out there, I didn't have a tarp so I covered it up with a garbage bag. Unfortunately the dip stick tube got knocked out of the tranny and I'm sure some water got inside when it rained. I guess I need to remove the pan, drain all the fluid/water, replace the pan and refill with fluid. Will this keep the trans in good shape? I'm also a little paranoid that some water may have gotten inside the engine, so I was thinking about removing the plugs, squirting a little oil inside, turning it over a few times, and then replacing the plugs and caping off the intake. Does this sound alright? I just want to keep this stuff in good shape while its outside. I'd hate to see it deteriorate.

Thanks,
Rex

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
I`d stuff the intake with rags and cover it up with the tarp. I`d remove all the plugs and shoot about 5 shots of marvel mystery oil in each cylinder then reinstall the plugs. It`s not likely much water got in the tranny with just the dipstick open. I would wait until I went to use the tranny and change the fluid and filter. Any opening on the engine I would stuff.

·
Registered
754 Posts
If its going to sit outside, don't put rags in the intake. They will absorb moisture and that will go directly into the motor. Put some duct tape over the intake and make sure it is tight all around the seal. Spraying some WD-40 in every opening will also help.

·
Registered
808 Posts
The first thing you want to do is, remove the valve covers and back the lifters off, so that the valves will ALL close. Then, you'll want to put ATF in the intake and exhaust ports to cover the valves and seal the combustion chambers. Next, pull the plugs and add 2 or 3 oz of ATF to each plug hole as you rotate the engine over. Lastly, cover the intake and exhaust ports with duct tape (two or three layers is better), pour some ATF in the lifter valley and cam area and then seal off the area with duct tape. Replace the plugs and valve covers, tape over ALL holes and dipstick tube with duct tape, and then wrap the engine in a cotton tarp that has been waterproofed, tie down with bungy cord or tarp straps.

If you don't close the valves, moisture in the air will seep into the engine and rust the internals. Waterproof tarps will keep out moisture and maintain a level of dryness because they are a natural fabric, where as plastic sheeting or tarps will hold moisture in. Cotton will dry in the sun, even in the cold.

Also, put some ATV in the water pump outlet and spin the pump a few times.

Why ATF, its a nice bright red color and will turn milky if water is mixed with it.

REXKarr, love that little waterfall the you have west of you, Cumberland Falls.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sounds long term, right?

All tarps and cloths, even duct tape, can let you down long term. You come out one day and notice that there's a hole here and a puddle of water there, it's very distressing when it happens.

Good to see alittle1's post being so comprehensive. Valve springs also lose tension when sitting with the valves open after time, but mainly he does mention exhaust ports. These tend to be the ones that let the moist air in and lead to rusting of the bores.

Even when engines are stored inside, some of these tips are worth noting...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.