Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished my rebuild on a 50 chevy pickup with a 350 chevy that has a small Weiand blower. The dual exhaust is 2.5 inches, Sanderson headers and Spintech mufflers. The exhaust system has also been ceramic coated. Looks great too, but just too loud. When I drive it, the drumming sound kills my ears and I have good insulation in the cab. How can I tone down the exhaust system? Could I add some type of silencers in-line so that I don't have to replace the exhaust system completely? I paid $600 for the exhaust and another $200 to coat it so hoping to do this without scratching the whole thing. Any thoughts would be very welcomed.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Add some resonators in the rear..they are small mufflers and can do a lot to change the exhaust note..Get the stainless ones and you will not need to recoat anything..

Sam

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Install a set of dynomax bullets and a crossover pipe.

I built the exhaust system on a friends car. It had the same droning problem. So, I added a H-pipe after the transmission then a dynomax bullet on each side after the H-pipe and that fixed the problem. New cars also use multiple mufflers to get the job done.

What is a spintech muffler?

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
cheap experiment would be a set of short glasspacks to act as resonators at the end of your exhaust. I think cherrybomb even sells some polished trim rings to put on the end of the glasspack to give it a finished look.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
For a drone an x pipe helps a lot. To lower the volume you'll need different mufflers.

Also, be sure you have enough timing advance (and vacuum advance) this can lower volume a lot.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
I use a 3 inch system . The big difference was when I had an X pipe installed.took away all the low RPM drone and dueling 4 cylinders are not as pleasing a sound as dual with x pipe (both tailpipes sound like an 8)

·
Vd=0.7854B2S, CR=Vd+Vc/Vc
273 Posts
Load pipes save lives

Ive been playing with the exhaust on my 05 P-71, i installed magnaflows and its gone from dead quite to a little loader than i like. all the loadness is at the exhaust tips (not much coming from the glasspack body) someone was telling me the the sound waves at the back can ossolate side to side and set up a resonate, a drone, and depending on pipe size and engine the intensity could vary alot. im gona try and rotate my tips so they aim away from each other.
Im also looking for some kind of exhaust tip that can reduce the bark.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,407 Posts
I have a nephew who runs a muffler shop. We were talking not too long ago and he advised this was a common problem when customers who installed performance exhausts and removed catalytic converters. He advised replacing the converters with short glass packs would break up the resonation that causes it to be so noisy in the vehicle.

John L

·
Registered
433 Posts
I had a similar noise problem described above with my 347.I have heavy insulated the interior of the car and trunk but still had resonating coming through. My system from the engine back has long tube headers, into 2 1/2" , then x pipe , flowmasters and out the rear about 4" past valence.
I went to the local Harley dealer and bought two multi fluted baffles about 10" long and 2 1/4" diameter. I wrapped them in stainless steel wool and wired the wool in place around the baffles so they could slide up inside the 2 1/2 " pipes with a light push. I then made up two end caps on the lathe out of aluminium to keep these baffles in place and held them on the end with two grub screws in each end ring or end cap. Works well and took the bark out of it. Probably a little too quiet nowl.The baffles were about $15 each i think.
Al.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Ahh the memories of being a kid.
1st one is burning the glas packing out of my thrush glasspacks
2nd one is blowing one of those baffles out of my street bike (SL175 aww yeah) and having another 50 miles to go...ugh that was a LONG 50 miles

·
Registered
433 Posts
I second that.:thumbup: I recall yrs ago when i was a kid on a 750 Honda 4 blowing off a single headlight behind me one night only to find out at the next set of lights it was a cop on his bike. THey had 450,s.:thumbup:
hmmmmm. My bike had a noisy straight out 4 into 1. Too noisy for the coppa.
Al.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
you young punks on your hotrod bikes!

I had a 74 Rickman 125 Dirtbike set up as an enduro; a Hodaka Combat Wombat (no really, someone gave Hodakas the best names ever), and the SL175.
All my friends thought I was weird (no kidding) because I liked 'old junk' which I considered 'vintage' and 'off beat'

·
Registered
433 Posts
you young punks on your hotrod bikes!

I had a 74 Rickman 125 Dirtbike set up as an enduro; a Hodaka Combat Wombat (no really, someone gave Hodakas the best names ever), and the SL175.
All my friends thought I was weird (no kidding) because I liked 'old junk' which I considered 'vintage' and 'off beat'
Unreal :thumbup: i remember the "combat wombat" I had a montesa of similar age. Better start a bike thread from yrs gone by. ( Still have a Duke in the shed)
P.S we have wombats close by our neighbourhood.:)
Al.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the great advice. I will look into each of your suggestions and see which one is the best alternative for now. I knew I could count on Hotrodders for the answers.

·
Vd=0.7854B2S, CR=Vd+Vc/Vc
273 Posts
Yeah i,m quoting myself

Ive been playing with the exhaust on my 05 P-71, i installed magnaflows and its gone from dead quite to a little loader than i like. all the loadness is at the exhaust tips (not much coming from the glasspack body) someone was telling me the the sound waves at the back can oscillate side to side and set up a resonate, a drone, and depending on pipe size and engine the intensity could vary alot. I'm gona try and rotate my tips so they aim away from each other.
I'm also looking for some kind of exhaust tip that can reduce the bark.
Since my last post Ive added appox. 18" tips that are 45*degree, , i cut my old tips off and slipped these on, The exhaust now terminates just past the bumper, the tips are square not slash cut and angle away from each other, you can not see down into the pipe as before. the sound change is significant
with this very simple change, tone is about the same, Pretty throaty, but over all volume is down a good amount, i don't need to have the stereo turned up near as much, conversation with a passenger is no longer strained.
Still barks good when i punch it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.