Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard for years that you shouldn't run bias tires with radial tires, but I have never heard why ????? I did this once a long time ago on an Olds 442 it had big Goodyear Ralley GT tires on the rear and Goodyear radial skinnies on the front. It drove and handled great.
Any thoughts on this subject ??
Gene

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Bias/radial Mix

Hey Gene, I've always heard its due to the difference in braking traction thats dangerous, especially on wet roads. Bias on back, rear end doesn't keep the the vehicle tracking straight in heavy braking. Bias on front will start skidding way before rear in heavy braking. The subject is debateable, lots of folks run Mickeys on the rear w/skinny radials on front, without ever thinking of whats gonna happen in an emergency braking situation. I have run 130 plus on bias ply tires before radials became common. Stopping never enters your mind when you got your foot to the wood. :mwink: Later, Nolan

·
More for Less Racer
20,943 Posts
One thing I noticed with Bias on the rear and a Radial skinny on the front was that the front tires went straight down the road where they were pointed, but the Bias rear tires "floated". They followed the ruts, cracks, grooves, troughs, and the "traffic groove" in the pavement. It is a slightly unpleasant feeling, but the car handles fine if you don't react at the steering wheel to that slight "floaty feeling" and make it worse. Just point the wheel where you want the car to go. Cornering was fine, considering it has 90/10 shocks and no front sway bar.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have Mickey Thompson ET Streets (bias ply) on the rear of my Chevelle and M/T says don't mix radial and bias tires so I will stay with bias front tires , maybe Coker Pro Trac skinnies 215.75x15
Gene

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Protracs

Hey Gene, I'm not sure if I'm familar with the Pro Tracs, how tall? I like the skinnies @28" but not at 26". Just taste I guess. But I can't make up my mind on sensible, driving tires or the LOOK (drag package) nowadays. :confused: olnolan :thumbup:

·
T-Bucket, Corvette, Mustang
507 Posts
I was running large bias tires on the rear of my T-bucket with smaller radials on the front. The one thing I noticed was that I couldn't keep the rears in 'balance' - you could feel them being out of balance starting at about 45 mph. I would have them balanced - both statically and dynamically - put them back on the car and they would feel like you were inflating them with pizza dough as you went down the road. I replaced these with Hoosier pro-street radials on the rear and the problem immediately went away. I never noticed any handling or tracking problems as mentioned by the other posters using bias tires, and I never dove the car on wet roads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.