Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will this intake work with these heads? (Once I install the gasket of course) It seems that I have a wrong intake, but I don't know of chevrolet big blocks using different intakes due to the egr port. Also, note that the intake does not have bolt holes between the intake runners. Seems that I need those. Does anyone know about this?

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
don't need the top intake bolts.

you do need to seal up the crossover. use a stock type gasket such as the FelPro 1210 as the exhaust may just burn out the typical paper intake.

·
Vd=0.7854B2S, CR=Vd+Vc/Vc
273 Posts
Going by what little of the intake i can see i'm gonna say that's not a BBC intake, what casting number is it ?

·
Registered
13,469 Posts
The BBC, Rat uses an offset bolt hole at the heat riser crossover. One bolt is on the intake gasket surface the other (in question) is inside the air gap around the heat riser but is usually flush with the gasket surface. The two part question starts with is, what I’ll call the offset bolt hole within the head‘s heat riser air gap, there? The second part is does the intake’s bolt holes align not only to all other bolt holes of the head but also to the ‘air gap’ bolt hole if present?

Your pictures don’t show the bolt hole alignments well, please photo each and every one and photo the head’s intake surface so that all this detail around the heat riser can be seen.

The intake appears to be a no name import, yes or no?

The air gap around the head riser passage does not seal to perimeter closure only at the heat riser surface surrounding the exhaust port itself.

If these were my heads I would fill or have the riser port filled with aluminum or furnace cement so as to smooth the connection this makes with the exhaust port since it is no longer needed. Filling allows the port wall to be blended like the other exhaust ports which cuts turbulence and increases flow on these ports.

Bogie

·
More for Less Racer
19,368 Posts
This same issue was just discussed over on the Team Chevelle forum. The open area you see doesn't affect anything,it isn't open to the lifter valley and it isn't a leak point of any kind like vacuum or exhaust.
Several different race intakes won't cover that area, but it doesn't hurt a thing, the only spot that actually needs to be covered and sealed is the exhaust heat crossover passage through the middle, the smaller, roughly 1" square opening that the manifold is covering right now. Some guys think the exposed area looks bad, but that is just their own OCD thing.

The missing upper bolt hole over each pair of intake ports are also very common with aftermarket intakes, and have been for at least 30 years, they pose no problem either.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The intake is a Pro-comp 23036 single plane racing intake. I found a Weiand Stealth dual plane intake that has bolt provisions for the intake runners. I believe I'll use it instead of the single plane race intake. My intake gaskets will cover the jacket around the exhaust crossover runner. See picture. Seems like this will work. Please advise. Thanks so much.

·
More for Less Racer
19,368 Posts
That intake will seal up as well. Probably a better intake to use power-wise unless you were building a 3500-7500 rpm 427 or somethng bigger. Definately better if you are only going to rev it up to 6500 rpm max.

The Stealth #8016 comes with the divider cut like that.

·
Registered
13,469 Posts
The air gap around the exhaust heat riser port does not need to be covered nor sealed. Only the riser passage inside the larger air gap needs to be sealed to prevent exhaust leaking. Aside from that the only thing you need to worry about is bolt hole alignment and a gasket. This is being made into a way bigger problem than it is.

Big R block Chrysler’s use a similar air gap around the heat riser, it’s almost always exposed, it ain’t no big deal.

Yeah your ProComp intake is made for aftermarket performance heads which don’t have the exhaust riser port in the heads at all.

This doesn’t need to be ground into the grist everybody is making it into.

Bogie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts