Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide between 3 different big block engines to put in my truck. I have the oppurtunity to pick up a 366, 427 and a 454 engine to install in my truck. Please give me some feedback on which engine would be a good rebuilder to put in a 71 chevy truck.

·
Administrator
18,432 Posts
366 is a tall block.....don't want that.

427 may also be, check it out.

454 is definitely the way to go, in my opinion.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I would go with the 454 based on the displacment,but dont be afraid of the tall decks,they were made for truck much bigger then yours.A tall deck will bolt right in{it is only a little under a half inch taller then a regular bigblock},the thick 4 ring pistons of the tall deck allow it to run cool and damage free even when pulling heavy loads up steep hills with severe detonation.The short stroke of the 366 and 427 allow it run run fine at somewhat high sustained rpms such as would be encountered in a big straight job truck or school bus where typical gearing is the equivelent of more then 5:1 in the rear axle{A big truck would have more like 8:1 in the rear but it would have much bigger tires},and the small bore of the 366 combined with the abilty for it to rev 3000+ rpm on the highway for sustained periods of time make it a great choice for heavy pulling.The kind of grunt work that would blow the tops off a set of 454 pictons wont even make a 66 rattle a tiny bit.
It all depends on what you want to do with the truck.If you are building a performance truck for hot rodding then a 454 might work fine,but if you are building a truck to pull a 30foot enclosed car hauler across country then a 427 truck block would be a sweet find.Good luck.

·
Registered
722 Posts
First of all the 366 is not a tall deck.

Second you don't want it because the cylinder bore is very small and can't be overbored.

Third the 427 is the same bore as the 454 just different stroke. The crank in the 427 and 366 are the same stroke 3.766 and are steel. Good to have.

The 454 is going to be the cheapest due to parts and piston compression heights available. If the truck is a heavy ride, this is the best choice.

Chris

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Cstraub said:
First of all the 366 is not a tall deck.

Second you don't want it because the cylinder bore is very small and can't be overbored.

Third the 427 is the same bore as the 454 just different stroke. The crank in the 427 and 366 are the same stroke 3.766 and are steel. Good to have.

The 454 is going to be the cheapest due to parts and piston compression heights available. If the truck is a heavy ride, this is the best choice.

Chris
The 366 IS a tall deck, 427 came in both standerd & tall deck.
Are you sure your not thinking 396 instead of 366 ?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Step,
your right, I was thinking 396, to much wine after this vote tonight.

Sorry.

Chris

·
Registered
358 Posts
I am happy with my 454, but have heard that a 427 is a better bore/stroke combo, and revs faster than a 454. maybe more true for lighter race car applications though. Your gonna spend the same amount of money with any of the three so why not get the best bang for your buck displacement-wise?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts