Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i'm now the new proud owner of a 69 cougar!! And it was set up with a 460 befor i bought it but the guy decided to pull it znd put a 302 in it.So my question is do the 460's and 502's even come close as far as motor mounts go because i would love to but my chevy big block in this thing.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
not even close, you would need some custom work done. I'd find another 460 to put in it. the amount of work to put the Chevy in it would not be worth the return.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
+ cross breeds are old news...would be way cooler to see it be Ford powered
Anyway...like stated earlier....everything...everything would have to be fabricated to put a BB Chev in that car.

·
Super Moderator
18,353 Posts
Lots of work........The front sump being a major hurdle.........but if you do it the "Anti-Chevy" gang will be all over you.....Wouldn't bother me.

Put a 440 Mopar in it..........That would be different.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts

Put in the 460. They're not the best at gas mileage but you can build decent power rather cheap. I built a 460 for a 86 cougar, flat top pistons and ported stock heads with BBC chevy valves and a flat tappet cam made 510 hp 530 ft pounds. and didn't have one high dollar part in it.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Never a cross breed

Please, either get rid of it or, if you really want to keep it and have to have a big block, use a 429/460.

While a 302 gets kinda lost in that engine compartment, they can, with the right equipment, run like gangbusters (a 347 cid stroker).

Even better yet and possibly what the car came with originally was a 351W. A few bucks more than a 302, but set up correctly with stroker up to 427 CID are a real sleeper - all your Chevy buddies will wonder.

IMHO Chevy's are like belly buttons, everyone has one - if a later model non GM car has a Chevy in it (at a show), I keep on truckin'.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok well i guess i'm on the look for a 460 now!!! Anybody wan to buy 502 block and heads???? So like what year 460 should i be looking for??? LIke what are the good yeras and do they come 4 bolt mains and all that good stuff???(Sorry fo all the questions i'm not a ford guy) :welcome:

·
I need a bucket of arc sparks
895 Posts
Look for a 460 out of a pickup with a D7TE casting number, they are suppose to have 4 bolt mains and the stronger rods than a car 460. The heads suck and they have low compression but they make a excellent foundaton for a builder.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Irelands child said:
Please, either get rid of it or, if you really want to keep it and have to have a big block, use a 429/460.

Even better yet and possibly what the car came with originally was a 351W. A few bucks more than a 302, but set up correctly with stroker up to 427 CID are a real sleeper - all your Chevy buddies will wonder.

IMHO Chevy's are like belly buttons, everyone has one - if a later model non GM car has a Chevy in it (at a show), I keep on truckin'.
Couldn't agree any more on all points. ;)

BTW, congrats on the new cat! If you want the real lowdown; been-theres, done-thats come on over and post on mercurycougar.net. So much knowledge, killer info and great people. Tell 'em Sunroof69 sent ya!!!

ummmm...just dont mention the whole chebby big block thing, we'll let that be our little secret. :nono: LOL. Actually, there's a thread on right now about unusual engines found in classic cougar bays. So far a mercedes turbo-diesel is the winner in my book.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
look for a 69 or earlier block and heads . then look for late model truck rods.or go after market. early rods are good for 450 hp give or take a little. Port the exhaust side of the heads and just gasket match and clean up under the valve on intake side. large tube headers which will be a real pain to install. And if you want more power go larger big block chev valves.Good streetable. hydraulic cam.should do the trick.If budget allows go 514 kit

1 - 14 of 14 Posts