Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
It all looks good on paper. 8 grand is alotta' rpm's for a big block, but any good engine builder/machinist can make it happen. If your kinda in the dark about it, first find a qualified builder, tell him what you want it to do and take heed to his advice. It's not necessarily all about chosen' the right parts, the magic is in the machine work and performance blue printing. Of coarse it all will require one very special tool, your check book. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Joooooe is absolutely right, just want to point out one thing, there are a lot of so called "qualified builders" out there, when you pick one, do some research, talk to several people who have done business with them and see what they have to say about them so you don't end up dishing out a ton of cash and end up with a pile of scrap iron, been down that road before. I have a similar setup that you want to build, I run mine 7500 with no problems..........Good luck with your toy....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sounds like you have all the good stuff. I will assume that you have a regular production 4 bolt block and not a bowtie, if so, to turn 8000, I would highly reccomend that you use main studs (I use ARP) instead of bolts, that will require a line hone. If you have the extra cash, you could use steel caps for extra insurance. Before you do anything though, have the block thoughroly checked for flaws or cracks, if a main web lets go, you don't have much left to build another one....Hope this helps.......Good luck.........

·
Registered
12 Posts
sounds to me like you've got the general idea but i think you are handeling the project backwards.. by this i mean youve started listing specific rod manufacturers, when you should start by desciding on the desired power of your engine, and are you going to run a power adder.. NOS? and why the 8000 rpm? To put it in short, when youve figured out how fast you want to go and subsequently the required output, it might turn out to be way cheaper and more hastle free to buy a 540 merlin crate engine for instance there is 650 reliable horses on tab (plus however much nitrous you dare put in it), and all the torque youll need to propell almost anything down the track in under 10 secs

[ January 16, 2002: Message edited by: 454deuce ]</p>

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yep, gotta agree with you on that, it would be a lot cheaper and a whole lot less hassle and a lot of time saved, not to mention a lot more sleep at night.........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts