Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Callies or Scat would be my decision, a balanced assembly from Callies is a good deal, with forged cranks the price is similar to the Scat.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Get a hydraulic roller for any BBC, they have always been hard on cams and the roller makes that all a thing of the past.
I did a 496 for a street car with a similar cam but Brodix Racerite heads ported by some famous drag racer, made 590/560 with 10.5 compression and pump gas.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Comp or Crower steel rockers Las and lifetime.
BBC are notorious for eating flat tappet cams, get a custom roller if you have to, hydraulic if you drive it alot.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
the roller versus ft debate is pretty short for me--rollers are more durable and can provide more power.
Rick at Isky told me many years ago that his flat tappets made basically the same power in the engines I was building (8k RPM oval, 350cid, 700hp) as the rollers. For street use, GM went roller for durability with modern oils and a little horsepower.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
even grocery getter engines get hydraulic rollers now, it's about durability.
and don't worry about the RPM, hydraulic rollers will turn at least 7k comfortably. I am a fan of Howards HR lifters, zero issues with them. For solids/racing Isky is the only choice. Isky of PAC springs for everything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts