Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
******* Professional
1,391 Posts
I would like to make a correction about the axles. They are 30-spline, not 31 or 33. They were an option for the 8.5" 10-bolt. You can get 30-spline side gears for the 8.5" carrior which are also the side gears in my 7.5" custom Auburn posi. Everything fits like a glove. BTW moser makes these axles too.
Anyway, getting back to the topic at hand, If I do go with the 496 build what are the clearance issues that might arise?
I have 30 spline axles in my 8.5" rear in my S10. Used to have an Eaton clutch type posi until I destroyed the spider gears in a 2900# car with a 383 and slicks. Now I have a spool, c-clip eliminators, and one of those covers that supports the carrier bearing races. A 7.5 posi behind a big block in a heavy car is just waiting to break. Better a 12 bolt or a 9" rear. What I would have done if I didn't have so much money in the one I had already.

·
******* Professional
1,391 Posts
To me LMSport is obviously talking about a solid roller (at 8000 rpm), which is really the ultimate performance cam type.

Cams are much more than lift and duration. It's all about valve timing. You can choose a comparison cam to prove pretty much whatever you want to sell.

On the street, there is no disadvantage to a hydraulic roller in general - other than the high cost. But on the strip the hydraulic roller can be quite RPM limited due to the heavy valve train.

Flat tappet solid has more potential to make more horsepower than a hydraulic roller by being able to spin to a much higher RPM.

Flat tappet hydraulic brings up the rear in performance

1 - 2 of 2 Posts