Hot Rod Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
i think smoky yunick[spelling?]has a manual out that shows you how to build a 460 cube small block that makes around 750 gee gee's i don't remember the torque rating. and i remember reading something about the 375 horse 327 beating a 375 horse 396 in the same cars i think it has something to do with ht rod/stroke ratio in the 327 as well as the lighter weight of the small block.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
1,642 Posts
Man, there is no comparing a 350 cubic inch engine vs. a 454. You guys are all talking about how high it is to build a big block. I just built a 396 for 1500.00 and, it has some nice stuff in it { a 454 would be cheaper to build than the 396}. If you want to get some good flowing oval port heads, pop in some 2.190,1.88 valves, a hot cam and kit, pump a little compression in it, and a typical carb and intake, you are going to make over 500 horsepower easily, and probably more than 540 ft/lb of torque. You just can't get a small block to make the kind of low speed twist a 454's gonna have. In a 3900 pound Monte Carlo, that's what you need. Sure, you can build a radical little engine and it will be fast, but it will cost you, and it won't be streetable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would agree with most people that bbc puts out more power than a sbc cuz I one of both but im quite impressed with my 265 sbc. Im running about a 4.11 rear end ive managed to blow the spider gears out :D and ive had to weld them :mad: . I've managed to blow out my 4 speed and clutch. I can waste people with 350's that are built. I would just as soon run my 454 in it though, and in case your wondering what im running the 265 in its a 57 chev it has a edelbrock performer 600 cfm carb with edelbrock performer manifold a slightly bigger cam.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Big Block hands down.In a heavy car with plenty of room there is no reason not to go big.Even GM used a 454 in your car when they wanted to make it run.Even a stock junkyard pickup truck motor with an intake,carb and headers will outrun a pretty hot 355.As for the guy who commented on Nascar,you should remember that they arent allowed to run bigblocks,the biggest engine they are allowed is 360 inches,and they dont use a .030 over 350,they use a .030 over 400 bore with a 3.25" crank in it.Yup they make 750 horsepower,but they have to spin 9000 rpm to make it,and they have $5000 cylinder heads on them,$1000 rocker arms,and $5000 crank kits,and they throw everything in the garbage after 1 race.I have a 427 bigblock that I built with a stock GM 2 bolt main block,stock GM crank,stock heads with almost no portwork{bowl blend},stock lifters and timing chain,and off the shelf edelbrock intake,and it makes 720 horsepower at 7300rpm,and I hit it with a 300 shot of nitrous for an even 1000 horsepower,and the engine doenst seem to be sweating it one bit.I havnet had the valve covers off in 2 years.I change the oil twice a year and run the snot out of it.I also spent $8000 pan to carb including the nitrous system and the headers for the entire deal,and since this price includes aluminum heads{new GM rectagular port L88 stock replacements for only $1200},intake and water pump,my bigblock only weighs within about 100#of most iron headed 355's out there.A while back I built a 396 with a stock block bored .060 over,stock crank,rods and pistons,with stock oval port heads with only a 3 angle valve job,a stock GM cam{L88 replacement cam},stock stamped rockers,and stock pushrods,a dual plane intake and 850 holley,stock oil pump and pan,and even stock valve covers.It ran mid 11's in a 3400# car,which is the same number as the fresh off the dyno roller cammed dart headed 355 that my friend has in his Malibu runs with his 540 hp dyno sheet,and he has a single plane intake,a 5000 stall convertor,roller rockers and a .640" roller cam,and he shifts it at 7200rpm.He spent almost 10 grand at a big name engine shop for his peice,and shook his head at the fact that my $2500 basically stock 408 can run right along side of him.He put a 200 hp shot of spray on it and burned one of his lightweight race pistons,we shot the 408 with it's stock replacement L78 replacement pistons,and it didnt miss a beat.10 second reliable horsepower for under 3 grand.Cant argue with that.That Monte needs a .030 over 454 with 9:1 pistons on a stock crank and rods,a 3 angle valvejob on a set of stock oval port open chamber heads{big ovals prefered},use a crane HMV278 cam with stock replacement lifters timing chain,pushrods and rockers{all new speedpro stuff or similar would be nice}Fresh springs,and top it off with a performer RPM intake and 700 double pumper carb,and with a set of small tube 1 7/8" headers,you will have a tuff combo to beat.Should be a great 480 to 500 horsepower with parts you can buy from the local parts store,and should run for tens of thousands of miles with nothing other then oil changes.Dont be fooled by magizine articles that claim they slapped some vortec heads and a mild cam on a stock crate motor and made almost that much horsepower.with a 2500rpm stall speed in a th400 with 3.73's and some 27 inch tall tires,that 461 will pull the rod bolts out of any warmed over 355.Good luck.

·
Registered
414 Posts
And dont dis those 366 truck motors.We did one a while back.Took one good running 366 out of a school bus,rebuilt the stock heads with a 3 angle valve job,and fresh springs and seals,replaced the cam with a mild 272 Crane HMV,and added a weiand 172 blower set up with 2 tunnel ram carbs,and a set of used cheapie headers.We had to use intake spacers to make the blower work and had to machine the blower manifold so that we could use an off the self DUI distributor,but with under $3500 in the whole thing including the ditributor,carbs,and headers,it ran low 12's in a 3400# car on pump gas.We werent planning on pulling the oil pan off,but we had to swap it for a car unit and so we added a fresh stock oil pump.It is still running and is down the track from time to time.It ran low 12's with a 2500 stall in a th 400 and 3.55 gears and 28 inch tall goofy street tires{like pro trac 50's or something}it was a total hooptie racer and it runs like a clock.We build cars to run quick and be dead reliable with a minimum fo trick parts,and it seems to attract a lot of attention.

·
Registered
13 Posts
While a small block can be a fast blast I think you'll have so much more fun with the 454. It will have tons more wheel spinning torque like blowing the rubber off the tires all the way into high gear. Its as simple as a 9:1 to 10:1 454,(flattops with close chamber heads or small domes with open chamber oval ports) solid lifter camshaft like comp cams 294 solid magnum version and matching springs, 10 degree comp cams retainers and locks, 800 double pumper carb and good intake, headers. Go with the good ARP rod bolts in the big end. Stud the mains and heads if bucks up. I went with a 10" convertor and 4:56 gear. I have had tons of wheel spinning fun with this motor and no troubles for years except worn out tires LOL.. I have had fast small blocks but next to a comparable big block the BB always made it more fun because of the gobbs of torque it has.

Bry
<a href="http://ww2.esn.net/turbo/" target="_blank">http://ww2.esn.net/turbo/</a>

·
Registered
1 Posts
as a fomer owner of a 70 ss 454 monte carlo /and a 70 ss 350 nova both were very nice but got more pride out of opening the hood and saying big block(to meny mice around very few rats) :)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
did anyone happen to catch the small block vs bigblock comparrison in car craft a couple of months back?? They tested an 427 aluminum headed smallblock against a cast iron headed 509 big block, and even though the SB weighed 535 pounds and had a 244/252 @ .050 cam compaired to the 680 pounds weight and smaller cam of the rat( 235/240 @ .050), the 70 Nova they tested both engines in still ran 3/10 of a second faster in the quarter with the big block, now i submit to the discussion that with some aluminum heads and a cam simmilar or larger in duration (large motors like bigger cams...) the Nova would have obliterated the mouse with more than a full second in the quarter mile

I would say go with the Rat, first of all the worst flowing stock GM heasd for the big block outflows any trick racing small block heads (at least stock valve angle heads) Secondly the wow factor is worth it all... and lastly well its just plainly a cool thing to have filling the engine compartment..

·
Registered
296 Posts
been avoiding posting here but it just keeps calling me. It is all about personal preferance or what the car is built for. A monte is a big car but a small block will move it easily. I had a 74 monte with a 406 and had plenty grunt. If you want a daily driven street engine that you are going to be satisfied with 350-400 hp then the small block gets the call if you want more go bbc but also spend more. They both have pros and cons. I will build whatever I have or can get the quickest for the best deal. My father is an oldtimer that he and a few friends biult a 66" chevelle with a 283 25 yrs ago. This car would break your neck. They had 396 badges on her and everyone thought it was toting a bbc but that little mouse was feared buy many and on the other hand I have a buddy with a very brutal big block pushing probably over 125 hp more than my 327 and he only runs .04 better than me in the 1320. small bolck vs big block will rage on as ford vs chevy it is about what you want, need, budget and what use you have for iteither way CHEVY REIGNS

·
Registered
228 Posts
No matter how tough you are there is always someone tougher. No matter how fast you go, there is always someone who can go faster. Its all about personal preferences and money.
Either bb or sb can be a gas, both have merit, and both can be expensive.
I prefer sb's, and so far, since I began turning wrenches back in the 60's, I have never had ANY bb beat my sb, Ford, Chevy or Mopar, and back then I would run anything on 4 wheels. But thats my experience, so I keep on running them. I am sure there are lots of people that can say otherwise (and they probably will) but you go with what got you here...
Its all about enjoyment and comraderie, like being here discussing mine vs. yours....
:cool:

·
Banned
211 Posts
When you hiding from the big boys its kind of hard to get beat by them, lol. When considering a Mopar, dollar per HP, its way cheaper to build the big block. When building and comparing HP to HP, what is going to be more durable, a small block or a big block? If its Chevy your after, cmon, will a small chevy ever outflow a big chevy head that an average man can buy? Weight, and you have some extra bucks, then buy yourself an aluminum big block and be done with it. When your after overall power, big block anything. If your after your preferences, then its up to you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a 350 that's bored 30 over
and i got 410 HP and 408 ftlbs of torque with the mods i made to it
so really you can make that small block strong enough if you know what you're doing
it'll get better mileage than a big block too

·
Registered
388 Posts
Vancouver Grand Prix said:
hey liquid_larry you can bore a small block out to 454 cubes. it's been done and documented by one of the mags i read (hot rod or car craft??). it's probably pretty finiky but high reving 454 small block has got to go pretty damn fast :cool:

MOTOWN
Small Block Chevrolet

Build any thing from a 355 c.i.d. engine to a big 454-incher with maximum ease by using a complete Bill Mitchell Hardcore short block assembly. Starting with a race-prepped World Motown block

http://theengineshop.com/prods_pages/101202.htm :thumbup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bigger is better

Well small blocks are fine for small cars but if you really want a kick something that will last and be scary go for a new gen big block such as 502 as you know you can make an easy 600hp and easy to drive low end torque to keep this rig drivable with street mannors. It depends if you want trhe best of both world drivability and very fast you have to use a big block.

If you were worried about fuel consumption you may want to stick with a small block but that would be the only reason. Lets see a 502 makes 502hp at 5000rpm and 567ft at 3600rpm put 3.0 diff ratio and you have a animal car that will cruise at low revs with a small cam or go with a radicle small block that revs to 6500-7000rpm just to make the same hp and have a wild cam and bunny hop at 40mph which will be a pig to drive on a street daily.
Its the only way to go go the big block you wony regret it.
Cheers
camaro fan

·
Registered
223 Posts
cheaper to build a big block using stock 781 heads... if u want 500 hp its cheaper to go with a big block.. just buy some higher comp pistons,cam intake, carb.. you should have it there.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Reminds me of a kid in high school, parents had money and his dad dumped like 20 grand in an engine on a mustang (that thing sounded sweet) but i guess that was it. He took it to the local track and another kid with same car ran better time with a set of engine pulleys and a tune. Guess it isn't what you spend but how you apply it.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts