Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my friends have been arguing about older chevy and Pontiac big blocks in most cases chevy had the least horse power but the engine held up longer and the starter,oil or water pump wouldnt blow out like the typical firebird engines.

[ April 23, 2002: Message edited by: ColtRacer ]</p>

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've had firebird's all my life still have my 67
convertible.All or my of my problems have been self inflicked, not paying enough attention to detail, shimming starter,not getting cooling system right before abusing most of all mix matchingthe wrong parts,ie balancers and flywheels.Have severly abused my 428 H.O.but This time I spent alittle more on machine work, balanced, align honed,ported heads.Not everybody has my learning curve.But build it right ,attention to the little stuff.The more you are rough, the quicker to destruct.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Big question is parts availability... prices are about the same, but the Chevy has more parts avail... Pontiac is a much better motor, could use better rods, they run hard, forever... stick with whatever brand the car is... I hate to see a BBC in a BOP car... use a brand-matched 455!

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,854 Posts
this months hemmings rod mag has a good write-up on the bb pontiac.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I have had two Trans Ams, a 1980 bandit addition and a 1977 bandit with a 400p, the '77 runs stronger than any chevrolet 400 I've ever ran with, but you do have to do preventative maintanance on them, and pay attention to the small things.

[ September 09, 2002: Message edited by: Halloweenking ]</p>

·
Registered
87 Posts
Pontiac has always been the better mill by far big or small. there just built and engineered better. Although suppliers and part mfgr's are in short supply (only because of popularity) the Pontiacs have always out performed and out lasted the Chevys

·
Registered
13 Posts
First of all pontiac unlike chevy's do not have a big or small block I have and orginal 67 326 engine that uses the same heads and intake as my 400 and my 468. nuff said about that but the guy was right pay attention to detail and your engine will last longer and remember that pontiac are grunt engines and not designed for high rpm's. also keep in mind that the transmission bolt patterns are different from chevy to the bop engines.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Greet'ns from the "badlands "a Maine
I run a 455 Poncho in a 31 Ford coupe, a "rat rod",lets see... in 101 thou miles lost two starters (due to a bad flex plate) no oil related problems. Did a rebuild this year, cast heads, homemade tunnel ram with Q-jets, cam etc.
Tain't no bell-ie butten motor....For a low buck motor... can't beat-um with a stick in my book..
Check it out at <a href="http://www.badlandscoupe.com" target="_blank">www.badlandscoupe.com</a>
If I can be of help, don't hesitate
"Pontiac Slim"

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have six Pontiacs,they run fast and hard,but it does take a little more money to keep them up.BB chevy parts are easy and cheap to get compaired to Pontiac parts. My 70 GTO Judge likes Roadrunner meat way better then Chevy.but I think it does not matter,drive them all,enjoy them all.Dont let our hobbie die.AL G.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1979 Pontiac Firebird an its original engine the 301 . its got 175,000 miles on it an i never replaced the starter, or the oil pump or the water pump on it . it has bin a very good car . see i pay attention to oil changes , flush radiator,an tune-up once every year.its a small
V-8 . but im happy with it
GrandpaJoe

·
Registered
32 Posts
Why is everyone compared to chevy? Ford vs Chevy,Pontiac vs Chevy, Mopar vs Chevy...I never hear Ford vs Pontiac or Mopar vs Ford, thats because Chevy is the benchmark all the other guys are after, always has been, always will be!
At least Pontiac is GM.
Thanks
Drifter ;)

[ April 24, 2002: Message edited by: DRIFTER ]</p>

·
Registered
86 Posts
Most all GM bigblocks are great motors, but if u wanna compare, Pontiac BBs are known for tremendous power, I've heard of three different cars over the yrs from '69 - '76 from 3 entirely different people who didn't know eachother all tell me they've taken their speeds up over 160 mph. Two had witnesses & the other had an official clock-slip. 1 had 350, others 400's. Only thing peticular I've heard about them is the valve rockernuts backing off from folks too cheap to replace 'em.

·
Registered
87 Posts
only one reason why everything is compared to chevy-popularity. why is chevy so popular, two reasons-cheap and easy. this has nothing to do with durability. those that know better run mopar, those that cant afford mopar run pontiac

·
Registered
676 Posts
I agree, the only reason chevys are so pupular is because there are so many and they're so cheap. They started making chevy small blocks in 1955 and they still make 350s today. I think any kind of big block would be comparable to any other kind, wether it be chevy, ford, mopar, or pontiac. It all depends on how much you want to spend on it. So buy what you want, even though it is kind of a bummer to see a car with a different brand motor in it. But oh well, to each his own.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I can't speak for big blocks, I've always been a small block guy.I will say that when chevy came out with the V8 in 55 it has been king. The sbc today are even better, where else can you buy a stock production car (camaro) and run mid 13s ? To bad GM could not make a body style with the camaro that would appeal to the general public. The LS1 is one screaming motor. The strait 6L that GM has come out with has more hp and torque than most V8s, one of the few good things GM has done lately.
Thanks
Drifter

·
Registered
40 Posts
I prefer the Chevy BB, the Pontiac water pump, cooling system is a pain to change and maintain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey guys, the Chevy BB had lots of power. The old 454 LS6's could pull about 160 mph. They also had about 425 hp.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts