custom headers
882 heads mildly ported

it's going in my dune buggy:

very light, dual seater, mid engine RWD
TH350
1.800 rpm stall
3.50 LSD toyota supra IRS
31 in tires

My main concern is the crappy 882 heads, for now I don't want to spend more money, I must live with them for awhile, I know the cam is way too big for the low CR this heads give, what can I expect from this mismatch? poor driveability?, very bad idle?, little low end torque? or all of the above?

Since the buggy is very light, just the esential parts to keep it togheter, I hope it won't matter much, I will change to better heads in the future, or sooner if I hit the lotto.

please tell me what you think.

·
Veteran/Firefighter-Paramedic
1,736 Posts
not a fan of the intake, never used one but I've never heard anything good about the single plane torker manifolds. since the wieght of the vehicle is very light this will help you quite a bit with the lack of compression and duration of the cam. I would imagine that the engine will want a decent amount of advance on the timing but with all you have and setting the timming a bit more advanced i think you will be okay.

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,344 Posts
I agree with My87Z. You'll need tons of ignition lead with a custom curve. At idle you'll have a difficult time setting fuel mixture and it will likely smell very rich.

When you get around to it, sounds like you need some ported 305 heads. The chambers are small to get your compression up, but the ports need work to handle that cam.

The torker intake is a terrible choice for that combo and it will make things more frustrating from a tuning standpoint. Find someone who actually needs or wants a Torker and trade them for their Performer or RPM.

·
From the middle of the world
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've seen several pics of of a plenumm divider installed in the torker manifold, seems pretty easy to do and see if it works.

so, the main problem seems to be the manifold not the 882 heads, right?

a performer manifold + 882 heads will work fine with the 292 cam?

how about the very low compression ratio? I tought that was the main problem.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Use around 25 degrees of timing at idle and 38 total. Then add 10 more with an adjustable vacuum advance.

You need more stall converter. A 3000 rpm 10 inch stall should be about right.

Use an RPM intake (regular, not the air gap).

882 heads are not very good. A good set of 64cc heads would be really wake up the engine. I would expect at least a 50hp gain with a head swap.

Low compression isn't you biggest problem. I would put the low stall converter as the biggest issue, then the poor flowing heads, then the intake, then finally the compression ratio.

·
From the middle of the world
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what would it be like driving the buggy at slow corners on a tight windy road with a 3.000 rpm converter?

Does it need to rev up to 3.000 to start moving? or just fully engages at that speed?

I guess the millage would be quite low, but if I wanted good millage I would of used a geo engine instead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.