Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here is into the big cars like the old caddys or say 69 impalas or perhaps the big old lincoln convertibles?

They may not be fast, but they make fun cruisers. Plus you could get hit by anything short of a mack truck and not know it for a few weeks till you look and see the yugo in your trunk.

Looking at getting a 70s caddy myself. A local place has a 71 eldo conv. that they want entirely too much money for. And I have my eyes on an ebay auction for a 74 deville.

I love those big old cars. So anybody here do any wrenching on big iron?

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
I had a baby blue 76 Lincoln Towne Coupe,Crush velvet intrior in dark blue,mercury gauge speedometer,big fuel sucking 460,had those bad *** wheel well skirts on the rear.Old YTCthepimp cruising thru the hood.Ended up donating it to the church,I think they got like 600 it.I almost miss it but not that much.We have a 69 LTD that was left when my grandfather passed in April,big old gas guzzling 390 in it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've had a few 73 through 77 Monte Carlo's. Love them big cars.

·
Got Ouzo for touzo
415 Posts
I've got a 1970 Cadillac Coupe DeVille.... Now thats a BIG car. It may not have the big fins but let me tell you, its a monster. Trunks gotta be good for aleast 6 bodies:D

Love the big cars, mine just needs a paint job the rest is perfect.

bonuts

·
Registered
215 Posts
My Chrysler THINKS she's the biggest car around. I won't tell her any different, even though she's still in pieces in the shop being built.

·
Grillin Randy
550 Posts
I've owned and driven a whole laundry list of big cars. I still own most of them.

1956 Ford 2door Dad gave me this car when I turned 14.

1955 Ford Customline (61,000 actual miles right now) I bought this one from an old lady when I was 16. Pink with a white top, my parents picked it out.

1968 Ford Galaxie Fastback 390 cid I got this one from a local car dealer when I was 17.

1969 Oldsmobile 98 455 cid Dad's old car.

1971 Buick Electra Limited 455 cid I bought this one (pre-bent) from a neighbor, it had been rear-ended and had bent back bumper, trunk lid and the back doors didn't open. The right front fender was mashed. But the 455 ran fantastic and I had a great time in this car.

1973 Buick Electra Limited 455 cid turbo 400 Dad's old car.

1973 Buick Estate wagon 455 cid Towed a 22 foot camper all over with this one.

1975 Buick Century 2 door 350 cid Mom's old car.

1977 Buick LeSabre 4 door 301 cid Dad's last car, I got it when he died.

1977 Chevy Monte Carlo This one was my Brother-in-law's old car.

1983 Cadillac Eldorodo Birritz 350 cid diesel

1983 Chrysler Fifth Ave 318 cid

1986 Chrysler Fifth Ave 318 cid

1990 Ford Crown Victoria 5.8 Police

The big cars that I no longer own.

1970 Plymouth Sport Fury I hit a pole with this one at 60 mph.

These are just the bigger cars that I have personally owned and driven and do not include the ones that I have bought and never used as a personal car.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Crashfarmer got me thinking about big cars Ive owned over the years,although not all at one time..1974 Pontiac LeMans,1975 Chevy Malibu Landau,1978 Ford LTD ll,1976 Lincoln Towne Coupe,1978 Caprice.Big cars are cool,plus my wife wont drive them,so that means she wont wreck 'em

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just won me a 74 coupe deville on ebay. For the amazing sum of 338 dollars. 472 cubic inches of torque producing iron. It seats about 20. And it needs a tranny, which I conveniently have(and with the proper bolt pattern)

Just need to get it here. Trying to get a hold of my sister to see if I can borrow her truck. Need to see if I can find a dolly or trailer.

The real fun starts when it gets here. It will probably be my coffin when I bring it home.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I was a kid, my mom had a 1972 OLds four door that was gold with a black vinyl top and black velevet seats. 455 car! My first auto memory was looking out the window of that Olds as we went to Ocean City MD and wondering why everyone was going so slow, and then looking at the speedo and seeing that mom was going 90 something. The car felt like it was not moving, but she cruised wonderfully. I remember that I used to love to sleep across the big bench seat. That was a nice car.

(Mom also had a 67 Galaxie 500 that she got caught going 114 in a 35mph zone) Needless to say, my mom was the cooler than any of the other guys mothers, and quite a few of their dad!

·
Anything with a throttle
439 Posts
Yup....I like the 69 Imp reference...I have one of the 2455 SS427 69 Impalas. I also just picked up a 72 four door Impala and once owned a 64 Dodge 880....
Love em

1 - 17 of 17 Posts