Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

Anybody have any input about these big inch sbc. Im restoring a street/strip 72 nova and Id like to put a sbc 427 in it. The low bucks route would be a 406 with a factory block, but a good block is hard to come by and Id be pushing the factory block to its limits. I wouldnt want to put my investment at risk by using a questionable block. I like the world block but its very pricey. I looked at a dart little M blem, but it will only get me to 420 ci. Another option would be the iron eagle but I worry about the up costs of the spread rails and the raised cam.

Any help would be appreciated , Im a newbie and soon it looks like Ill be a broke newbie

Thanks Street

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
IMHO ... the extra few cubic inches are NOT worth the expense ... in a street car ... Heads only flow so much ... and are the limiting factor on most street cars making horsepower. Save your $$ and just bore a 400 block 30 thousands over with a good set of head plates ...

:)

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
The few extra inches aren't worth the cost to get them IMO. Use the money for a better heads, hydraulic roller cam and and thorough machine work. You'll be far above what you'd get from 21 cubic inches.

Larry

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Canton has you covered on the oil pan and Cloyes on the timing chain, nothing to fret on with the spead pan rails or raised cam.

There are no downsides to an aftermaket block from a mechanical standpoint. Only the HUGE upside of a much stouter base to build off of. These blocks though do need to be inspected at the machine shop though. Nothing is ever perfect and we have done our fair share of truing up on these blocks prior to a buildup.

You would not regret building up a big small block. You will build tremendous tourqe and HP in a very streetable package. Very mild packages with 10:1 compression, 240 duration hyd cam, E-tec heads will make a very streetable and maintenance free 500 ft/tq and 550 HP.

·
Registered
265 Posts
When faced with this decision I decided to spend money on better heads, instead of extra cubic inches for my current 409 project...

.040 over SBC 400, 9.0?? deck height block, ARP main stud kit
Scat Pro Comp cast steel 3.750 internally balanced crank
Scat Pro Comp 4340 6.000 I-beam rods 7/16 bolts
KB -4.8cc forged pistons, plasma moly rings
Professional products damper and flex-plate
Moroso oil pan, Melling HV oil pump
4.165 x .0?? Cometic head gaskets
AFR competition ported 220cc heads, 76cc chambers, milled to ??cc
Comp 12-771-8, 242/248 @ .050 solid street roller
Comp Pro Magnum 1.6/1.52 rockers
Performer RPM Air Gap intake
Pro-Systems 850 DP carb
MSD Pro Billet HEI
1.75 primary tube headers

I was going to adjust the ??'s to achieve a compression ratio in the mid-tens. But I've been thinking I may install the cam straight-up at a 110 intake centerline, instead of 106 and bump the compression to 11:1 since this is only a weekend toy.

550+ HP is my goal when it hits the dyno.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.