Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on running 18 & 20 inch wheels on my 63 fairlane and was wondering if anyone knew the offsets and widths that would work? this car shares the same suspension as mustangs and a few others so I was hoping that some people knew the wheel sizing for max tire size..

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
wheel offsets etc

Due to your car having a fairly narrow wheel well, 7 inch wide rims are about as far as you can go, and you will most likely want to have the offset about 3 1/2 inch. Went through that with a 69 Mustang, and was just running 6 inch rims but they were chrome reversed so they set out quite a bit.

You will want to run 40 series tires with those rims. Not too sure how thats going to look on a 63 Fairlane.

15's look pretty aggressive on a car of that age, and body style.

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
What Max Keith said: ditto:

I had those cars when they were just a couple years old and back then a reversed chrome 14" wheel would not fit. These cars have very small, narrow wheel wells in the rear. Anything more than a centered wheel and they will rub. Anything taller than a mid size 14" tire, (25"?) they rub!!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
wheel deal

Thats why I wrote concerning wheel width, wasnt sure just how narrow they are, knowing a tire with about 7 inches across the carcass is about as wide a tire as you can put in the well, and to prevent rubbing with that, running a 7 inch wide tire with a 7 inch wide rim would require a 3 12/ inch offset, to center the tire and rim in the wheel well. Wasnt aware a 25 inch tall tire would be too tall as well.

A 25 inch tall tire in a 15 would be a 235-245 X 60.

OOPs!
235-245 are about 26- 27 inch tall. Probably the ideal tire would be a 225-60 X 15.

I would run the 225's on a 6 inch wide rim. with a centered center section, meaning a 3 inch offset.
The alternative is to tub the rear and radius the wheel wells.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts