Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the biggest repair you've ever done in public?

I swapped my cam and heads in the parkinglot of one of my student houses during college, but it was sorta secluded, so I don't know if you could say it was really "public" but it was a dirt ground....

What about u guys?

This shoudl be fun, I'll bet some of you have done some crazy schit!!!

K

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
I saw...

a car swap ends after going off the road and getting into the soft shoulder, almost flipped but didn't, came down hard though. I set my timing one time at a car show, my distributor came loose, didn't have the bolt tight enough on the hold down and it got out of time.

Tazz

RAt Rods Rule!

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
I once put air in a tire in front of a whole bunch of people. Scary man.

·
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS
1,545 Posts
I swapped a timing chain on a 3/4 ton Ford in a CircleK parking lot once. It was nice to just walk into the store for a cold drink and eats. I swapped out two trannies at the carwash down the road from my house once. Hey it was raining and I didn't have a nice concrete pad to work on.

Then there's the occasional D.O.T. red tags that I had to take care of on the side of the road a few times when I worked for a trucking company. That was for work though, the timing chain and trannies were for my own enjoyment. :drunk: :D

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
I'll never forget the time my car was a 1/2 quart low on oil at school.

I've never had to do any road side repairs on any of my cars or my parents--we drive Chevy's.

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
Road side repairs are a *****!

My Chevy ran out of gas once...faulty gas gage don't ya know!! Your Chevy was 1/2 a quart low on oil?? Was your valve cover loose or did you leave the fill cap off??

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
All the way through August I changed the fuel pump in a bud's '94 Chevy truck in his driveway, if that counts. He is right off a rather busy road. LOL The worst part is, his float for the gauge came loose/ fell off the second time he put gas in. He's not in a hurry to re-fix that!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I'm not real sure that he wants it done anyway. His '94 is in reeaalllyy bad shape compared to most. He's thinking of buying new.. again. About time!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Replaced a timing belt on a Geo, roadside.
Changed out a fuel pump on my Nova, on the sidewalk.
Replaced the fuel pump in a Beretta in a gas station parking lot.
Changed oil in a Wal-Mart parking lot.
Rebuilt a Yamaha TZ250 engine twice in one weekend on the tailgate of a truck.
I built my 406 twice in the living room.

I do all my work in the yard, I don't have a garage.

Larry

·
Registered
2 Posts
I pulled the motor outa my 61 vw van and changed the flywheel and crank seals in the gravel parking lot of a junkyard
rebuilt the fuel pump on my 70 austin in the middle of downtown traffic once

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
I replaced a H2O pump on a Cummins M11 on I-265 one night.Cheap moving company would not pay for a tow or vendor to do it so I got stuck doing it.Took our service truck out all the time for brake or tire repair.We had some bad equipment at one time,you should see what a set of tandems will do when they shear the spindle from bearing failure.One set ended up dropping off I-264 in the west end of town,down a hill,thru a yard and right into some elderly couples home.It blew EVERY window out of that house when it hit and landed in the living room!

·
Footbraker
693 Posts
Did a "service" on a stranded 4x4 (for a drilling company I used to work for) in the middle of a cattle feed lot - that's where it died. It needed a fuel pump, but while I was there I also changed plugs, wires, cap, rotor, oil+filter, and dropped in a new battery.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,858 Posts
Changed a timing belt on a Vega on the side of the street, replaced a muffler that fell of on a trip home from a wedding, 150 miles to go, couldn't stand the noise. Dan

1 - 20 of 44 Posts