Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have recently acquired the task of fixing a friends front fender with minor body damage.

It is a 1996 volkswagen jetta with black paint code L041.

My question is all black the same? This is not metallic, with no pearl. Just single stage black. I am planning on using Nason brand paint to repaint the one fender. Will the standard black match up, or will they have to mix to match the code?

I know this isn't a hot rod, but I gotta help my friend out before I can get back to my real project cars. Thanks,
dh

·
Administrator
18,568 Posts
I am positive that the 96 VW has Base coat/ Clear coat. You might as well get the proper black, as it won't match otherwise.

·
Registered
864 Posts
blacks can be very different

and poncho, i think he was meening that the color coat is a single stage, not like a multystage like a flake, metallics or pearls ect...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. I talked to a couple paint shops and they all could make up the correct colour quickly and easily. I guess that's what they do for a living eh?

I'm pretty sure this car doesn't have clearcoat. I'll double check before I buy the paint, but I think only the VW metalics and pearls had the clearcoat.

Thanks again,
dh

·
Registered
637 Posts
If possible, take the gas cap door off the car and give it to the guys who will be mixing/matching your paint. That way they will have something to match the color to and get it as close as possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts