Hot Rod Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
By my calculations you were a very young man and should have been on cloud 9 to boot.
OMG was I! I was 18 and it was like I was in the main area winning the Riddler award! :D I have said in the original post in this thread how that truck was NOT popular in those years, people honestly didn't like them. I pulled up to this rod run and was turned away at the gate because the guy said it wasn't a 48! NO KIDDING! I had the registration right there on my visor and didn't think much of it, I had heard it before. I showed it to him and he said "you modified the pick slip" or something like that. I took off spinning the tires and parked down the street. I walked into the place and looked for Andy! LOL, now mind you Andy Brizio was a legend, I mean a legend big time! Andy "The Rodfather" Brizio and the "Instant T" - TBucketPlans.com

I had never met him, but went looking for him with the registration. I found him and he walked back to the gate with me and told the guy to let me in. He said smart ars "You're the boss", jerk.

But after that, yeah, I had a ball!

This was that morning on the way to the run.

I didn't get to park next to my brother's Model A because he went in before me when I got stopped at the gate. The model A was my first paint job ever, my truck was the second. :D The Model A was my second top chop, with my truck being the first.

This isn't my photo but I do have one I took climbing up on the hill to get an "arial" shot.

Brian

·
Registered
189 Posts
Cool ride . . .

My first car a 52 Ford Convertible.
One of my high school football team mates had one of those - metallic blue with white top and cruiser fender skirts! Duals with glasspacks of course!
And a 'necker knob' on the steering wheel. We thought we were cool cruising the drive-ins

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
Road kill . . .

70's style . . . helping my brother-in-law swap a living-room-built 350 Chevy into his Toyota Land Cruiser in the apartment parking lot! Check the sideburns and bell-bottoms . . .

Attachments

·
16,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Good stuff guys!

Brian

·
bentwings
2,592 Posts
This is about 1974. Canada. That's me. I think this was the final round. We won.....quite a pile as I remember. I had to use two pockets to hide it as we crossed the border. Haha

Byron

Attachments

·
bentwings
2,592 Posts
Here is my favorite. It's my final run in TF Funnycar. I beat Tom Ivo one of my heroes! He was/is the neatest guy. He was as excited as I was! I don't remember the rest of the day. It was a booked show, usually two runs and quickest two came back for the final.

Attachments

·
16,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Here is my favorite. It's my final run in TF Funnycar. I beat Tom Ivo one of my heroes! He was/is the neatest guy. He was as excited as I was! I don't remember the rest of the day. It was a booked show, usually two runs and quickest two came back for the final.
HOLY CRAP that's awesome! You the man!

Brian

·
bentwings
2,592 Posts
Some of our story is in there too!

I worked in a hotrod shop at the time and both my boss and I ran FC. Often we both would load up and leave Friday. We get back Mon. morning just in time to go to work. Only instead we would get on the phone and be ordering parts for the next weekend. (Call phones had not been invented yet) Then all of our busted parts came out and I usually wound up fixing both of our piles. This was the heart of the muscle car era so the shop was usually loaded with those cars too. It was a wild time! Never happen again.

It's funny that fourty years ago I worked for him. Now I again work for him. The old saying "what goes around, comes around" .haha. We like to say we work for a couple hours the take an hour break to talk about old times. We come in late and leave early plus my dog gets to come to work with me. Anybody got a better job?

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Some of our story is in there too!

It's funny that fourty years ago I worked for him. Now I again work for him. The old saying "what goes around, comes around" .haha. We like to say we work for a couple hours the take an hour break to talk about old times. We come in late and leave early plus my dog gets to come to work with me. Anybody got a better job?
Definitely not!!

And that's a great story in ntfday's link - congrats and looked like a blast.

·
16,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The day I brought my truck home after buying it for $200, Dec 1974.

Brian

Attachments

·
16,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Sure as hell is no funny car! (Bentwings, you the MAN) But damn I had a lot of fun at the Fremont drag strip. This is from the build up lanes at the Street Rod drags, 1986? Damn I wish I had photos of me running it in high school in primer. I ran it over and over and over at grudge night, Wednesdays. Damn I miss that drag strip.

Brian

Attachments

Reactions: 496CHEVY3100

·
Semper Gumby
375 Posts
This is about 1974. Canada. That's me. I think this was the final round. We won.....quite a pile as I remember. I had to use two pockets to hide it as we crossed the border. Haha

Byron
The 30 Below car! Out of Fargo! (Picture at Bison Dragways, Winnipeg!) That was YOU???!!! I was there the day at Keystone (or was it called Bison then?) when the body came adrift off that car, soared a "mile" high and came back down landing on it's nose, on the grass to the right, near the pit wall. Lotsa tupperware had to be cleaned up! If I recall, the crosswind caught you as you passed the end of the stands, moved you off the track and the grass & weeds tripped the latch

If I recall, I red-lighted in the semis that day in F stock :pain:

21 - 40 of 52 Posts