Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a mechanical oil pressure gauge which was already used on another engine. I noticed that in the plastic line(or tube), there were sections where there was oil and other sections where it was just trapped air. In order for the gauge to read oil pressure (vs air pressure) correctly, shouldn't the line/tube be bled prior to installation, similar to bleeding air from a hydraulic brake line? I just blew out the old oil from the line with compressed air. I do not believe manufacturers of gauges recommend bleeding/filling the line with oil prior to installation. Please advise. :confused:

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
mrl said:
I do not believe manufacturers of gauges recommend bleeding/filling the line with oil prior to installation.
It makes no difference whether there's air in the line or not.

If it bothers you, you can easily bleed the line when you start the engine by carefully cracking open the fitting on the back of the gage and letting the air out. Keep a rag wrapped around the gage/fitting to catch the oil. But usually there will be air in the line anyway.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.