Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I finally found what sizes my brake hoses were (see previous threads)but I also want to change my caliper bleeders for speed bleeders.

Try as I might, I cannot budge the existing bleeders. I have tried Liquid Wrench soaking for 2 days and am using a correct 3/8" six point socket. Nothing. I assume these are standard , not reversed, thread?

Any good suggestions for encouraging these bleeders to move?

·
Registered
26 Posts
brake bleeders

Unfortunately, I have broken a bleeder off and had to get a new caliper, thinking that just a tad more pressure would break it loose. I have never tried it, but would a torch for a short period of time loosen it? How about a smack with a small hammer to the back of a small breaker bar with a six point socket? Maybe while applying pressure, the shock might just be enough to break it loose. As far as the left hand thread idea, I don't know. I am not a mechanic, but have done a few brake jobs in my day and have never come across a left hand thread bleeder. Let us know on the outcome.

Dennis

·
Move It On Over!
227 Posts
Try using some JB-80 "Twice As Good" instead of the Liquid Wrench. My local parts store guy (Not a national chain) compares Liquid Wrench to dog pee. I've had pretty good results with the JB-80 and rusted up bleeder valves, bolts, etc.

·
Registered
81 Posts
heat it up with a small propane torch, you know the kind you would use for changing a hockey stick blade. Let it get good and hot so the threads expand and open up(1-3 minutes should do it). Works for me everytime.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Over heat and you will cook the "rubber" inside. I don't waste much time on them because new /rebuilt calipers are just not that expensive. A friend of mine drains his brakes every year by opening the bleeders and forcing all the fluid out and then replaces the fluid. He never has replaced any wheel cylinders, calipers or master cylinders and he has owned some vehicles in excess of 30 years. Also, keep the rubber boot on the bleed valve and you should not have them freeze up. I think they must teach every body to throw them away when they work on brakes.

Trees

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'll agree with trees, If you tap it with a hammer and still break off the valve, just get a new caliper. It probably won't be long until the piston seizes anyway. When you do install a new bleeder/caliper (I would recommend installing a new bleeder if you get the old one off), coat it with anti-seize to avoid future problems.
I run old fluid out of the brake and clutch systems about once a year as well. There's so much particulate that builds up, and it keeps the bleeders exercised.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rats. In spite of everything, the bleeder ended up just twisting off. The other side is loose as a goose so I only have one problem. Local auto parts place has rebuilts for $19.00 ,no core charge. That will be easier than drilling it out and hoping I've flushed all the bits away. Thanks for everyone's help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts