Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Future plans have me putting a turbo set up on a 383 I have. With they help of y’all and about 3 books I’ve become fairly good at tuning a carburetor. Actually got a other book on the way.

I’ve just found a great deal on a Holley EFI set up. Used but in good working condition. Whole kit plus the hyper spark system, wires and air cleaner for $900 bucks.

For those of you who have tuned a blow thru, how hard was it to keep dialed in?

Anyone running a Holley sniper EFI with a turbo set up?

Opinions?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Not running a blow thru but I am and have been working with a sniper efi and must say hind sight 20/20 I would have stayed with a carb.

Some sniper systems can be a real pain in the rear, I still have idle issues when hot, it idles to high

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not running a blow thru but I am and have been working with a sniper efi and must say hind sight 20/20 I would have stayed with a carb.

Some sniper systems can be a real pain in the rear, I still have idle issues when hot, it idles to high
What truck do you have? Mines a 95’ c1500 2wd

What kind of problems are you having with the EFI?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I am running it on a 80 camaro that’s not really that hoped up, just running the sniper with stock Distributer, no hyper spark. My biggest concern is the high idle when hot it is running about 150 to 200 RPMs high when hot. Hot as in just drove it 50 miles. I also will say don’t start messing with it until you have about 500 miles on it let system learn, just transfer the learn table to the fuel table and smooth it. Then drive again and repeat. The fuel adjustment should get less and less as the learning gets transferred. After about 800 to 1000 you can start changing things.

Also I had a brand new unit quite, Holley replaced it. If you look at Holley sniper form you will see many problems and items being reviewed.

Again knowing what I do now I would have stayed with a carb.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am running it on a 80 camaro that’s not really that hoped up, just running the sniper with stock Distributer, no hyper spark. My biggest concern is the high idle when hot it is running about 150 to 200 RPMs high when hot. Hot as in just drove it 50 miles. I also will say don’t start messing with it until you have about 500 miles on it let system learn, just transfer the learn table to the fuel table and smooth it. Then drive again and repeat. The fuel adjustment should get less and less as the learning gets transferred. After about 800 to 1000 you can start changing things.

Also I had a brand new unit quite, Holley replaced it. If you look at Holley sniper form you will see many problems and items being reviewed.

Again knowing what I do now I would have stayed with a carb.
Wow! I just went to the Holley forum page, there are pages of complaints/issues.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I want to add my 2-cents here on Sniper. I put it on my 496 BBC in my '48 Ford. I kind of regret the purchase. It's been a pain, Holley's support is super slow (of 6 calls, the shortest I've waited on hold was 71 mintues), the system itself as a few common issues, and frankly I disliked the wiring pigtails. If you bought it used, the first thing I would check is the injectors. If you Google around you will find threads about how they come loose and folks have to wire tie them back in place. And Holley doesn't consider that a big deal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.