Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So quick introduction. I have a Ford 460 shortblock. All proper machine work done, cj rods, forged pistons. I also have a complete 6:71 blower setup (manifold, blower, drive) to go on this motor. I having a set of iron heads being ported, flow rates should be near 340/210 Cfm @.600 according to my porter when finished.
Anyway I spoke with a well respected bbf guy who ordered me a custom grind camshaft for my application. I explained I have a heavy car (67 galaxie) and it’s just a street cruiser. But I want to make respectable power, rpms will not exceed 6500 rpm.

attatched is the cam specs. Can someone tell me what they think of this grind please. To me it seems to be very mild, even my head porter thought that this cam will fall flat around or before 5500 rpm. I just don’t understand cam specs enough to make a real opinion.

thanks in advance for all input View attachment 614172

·
More for Less Racer
20,954 Posts
The airflow provided by the blower will carry the power at the top end of the rpm scale, so the cam doesn't need a lot of duration like a naturally aspirated combination would.

Blower cams for almost everyhting short of full race always look small when looked at with a naturally aspirated eye.

The grind you have has extra duration to deal with the added exhaust volume provided by the blower stuffing ths cylinders, and a fairly wide Lobe Seperation angle of 112°(111.9° on spec sheet) to help prevent the blower from shoving fresh mixture out the exhaust during overlap.

I don't see it being a problem at all.

If this was more street/strip than just a cruiser, I would have been more worried about the less than stellar CJ rods....I'd have never even bothered rebuilding those stockers and gone right to aftermarket sportsman style(mostly stock appearing) I-beams or a H-beam rod for security.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We
The airflow provided by the blower will carry the power at the top end of the rpm scale, so the cam doesn't need a lot of duration like a naturally aspirated combination would.

Blower cams for almost everyhting short of full race always look small when looked at with a naturally aspirated eye.

The grind you have has extra duration to deal with the added exhaust volume provided by the blower stuffing ths cylinders, and a fairly wide Lobe Seperation angle of 112°(111.9° on spec sheet) to help prevent the blower from shoving fresh mixture out the exhaust during overlap.

I don't see it being a problem at all.

If this was more street/strip than just a cruiser, I would have been more worried about the less than stellar CJ rods....I'd have never even bothered rebuilding those stockers and gone right to aftermarket sportsman style(mostly stock appearing) I-beams or a H-beam rod for security.
thanks for the input, that all makes sense. As far as the rods I was inially going to just go with a healthy N/A build and then I came across the manifold/drive setup for such a good deal I couldn’t resist. And I already had the 6:71 so it just seemed like fate hah

·
Registered
15,345 Posts
I’m with Eric, this cam has the kind of specs your looking for to prevent blow through on the intake side and added duration on the exhaust side to help expel the large amounts of exhaust compared to running with only atmospheric pressure on the intake side.

Bogie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.