• Stroker

Votes: 10 47.6%
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
::choke:: so.... cool.... cannot contain... enthusiasm

DUDE YOUR CAR IS MY HERO!

Get a 400 and stroke it, its got a bigger bore than the 440. That way you don't have to worry about spending all that money on gas, swapping out to different carb, running super-strong internals. I guess I just say all this because I like the stock look of the car, but if you want the racey look and a lot of brute power, blow'er up.

K

·
Pure American Muscle
684 Posts
Nice car!:evil:

Well it seems your almost stuck to some point. You can run a blower on the car and that will look really nice and give you all the power you want. I am no expert on blowers by any means but most of the time you have to lower the compression to put one on and make it work well. Depending on how high PSI you go your gonna have to look at strength of internals. In other words you may have to rip into the engine in order to have an effective/safe blower set up. So while your in there it might be a good idea to stroke it out but get parts that will allow you to add a blower later on. That way when you get the money slap that blower on there and you will have a stroked and blown charger which in my mind is :rolleyes: :drool:

Just my thoughts...

Chris

·
Registered
16 Posts
In my opinion, for streetable power...Reliable power..You can't beat the cubes. I would go for the stroker motor vs the blower on the street. 10mpg or 7mpg your still sucking gas.

·
Registered
27 Posts
BLOWER!!!!
Definetly look at the strength of the internal parts, If you F*** up and miss out on the internals that could spell absolute disaster, but it would give all the ricers a heart attack either way blown or cubes. Plus either way you look at it, it will be one fast street/strip car and it will look just as cool with or without a blower because it is a Charger! And if gas is an issue, too bad! Gas mileage will absolutely suck $h!t no matter which way you decide to go.
GOOD LUCK WITH IT! :pimp: :drool:

OH YEAH, Don't do what Vin Diesel did in Fast and the Furious or I will personally hunt you down!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I might be a little bias but, I say build a blown engine. I have done the stroker thing, which is nice. Adding a blower is even better than adding cubic inches. Until you have driven a blown car it is hard to understand. The throttle response and torque is amazing. You don't really have to have "special" internal parts, you build it like you would any other high HP application. Forged crank, good rods, forged pistons with lower compression (8 - 8.5:1) a cam with 112-114 LSA and you are on your way. I can tell you the blown engine will cost a LOT more to build (carbs, linkage, air filters, scoop, etc...).

You could alway put a blower on the stroked enige and then you have the best of both worlds that's the route I took.

Royce

·
Registered
3 Posts
i agree with dude^^^^^^blow the stroker....i have driven both....i prefer blown motors cause of what dide said. torque and throttel response....my boss man has a 56 SD with 8-71 468 and first time i drove it i was HOOKED. it hit right around 750 at the flywheel and its so fun. also very forgiving. he has kids in high school and when they take it im sure they beat it. i know i do. what fun is almost 800 horse if you dont use it right?

i rolled a 66 chevelle with a 506...powerglide.....( might be comparing apples to oranges-correct me if im off) but the chevelle had NO bottom end whatsoever and had a huge hit up top(about 5600) he had N2O on the 506 and i was not able to spray it at the time...heard stories of breakin tires loose at 90+mph........

i say spend the dough. stroke it with nasty aluminum heads then put a blower on it. thats my 2 cents

by the way i dont mean rolled it over.....i have to explain for all the old-timers on here....i rolled it like i drove it for a while....i didnt actully flip the car. just drove it hard...

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
stroke vs blower

I would recommend going with a centrifical supercharger rather than the rootes job.
1) generally less expensive.
2) not as noisy
3) generally less pericitic load
4) you wont have to butcher your hood to put it on
minus
1) centrificals dont usually start giving any appreciable boost til you get around 2000 RPM.

Other recommendations:
1) run a compression ratio of a max of 8.5:1
2) run 5-6 lbs boost maximum for street
3) you dont need a lot of cam to make big torque with with a huffer. I would stay in the area of 225- 230 degrees duration @.050" with 112-114 LSA.
4)Be sure to put some hairy springs on your intake valves.
5)Whatever you do, follow the manufacuters advice on installation, maintainance, etc.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'd probably go with the blower myself, but only if I didn't plan on driving the car than a time or two a week at the very most. Blown engines just don't last like their normally aspirated counterparts. They also lose the "sleeper" status, of course. I took many thousands of dollars from stupid rich kids during college and my time in the military because I didn't have a loud exhaust, there was nothing sticking up out of the hood and it was very difficult to tell there was a 600 HP stroked 400 hiding in there unless you paid close attention.

·
brains
1,009 Posts
I love blowers, but being your car is a classic and already looks awesome, I would say go for the stroker. Alot of Mopar people are funny about being more original anyhow. Personaly your car kicks butt, it doesnt need a blower to be any cooler.

:)

·
Registered
570 Posts
I say blown,less weight flinging around so you can really twist it up. basically a 440 is a stroker version of a 383,but they made the block fit the crank,like the 302 vs 351 winds,a 400 is just a 383 bored .020,sort of like comparing a 396 to a 402. Spend the doe on a good bottom end,look at how they put the 426 together for a reference. It wont be a cheap date,but would be one you wouldn't forget.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Stroker.... blowers are definitely cool, but there's no replacement for displacement.

Forced induction and NOS are good ways to build power, but nothin beats raw NA hp off the engine.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Max Keith,
Where did you get this information: "2) run 5-6 lbs boost maximum for street" That is not true at all. I am running 12lbs of boost on 91 octane. With a centrif. you can probably get away with even more since they don't heat up the charge as much and can be easily intercooled.

paperairplane,
While that old rule does hold some truth "there is no replacement for displacement" That goes out the window when you compare forced induction to naturally aspirated. Now if you compare two engines of the same size and induction the rule holds true. Adding a blower is like adding cubic inches.

Stickman,
A properly set up blown engine should last every bit as long as a naturally aspirated engine of the same performance level. In most cases they will last longer, they are not hard on parts unless you have detonation or beat on it all the time. As with any engine the more power you make the less reliable they become. The more you thrash on them the more parts break. Has nothing to do with being blown or not.

I agree the guy does have a cool car and if he doesn't want to cut the hood. I would suggest going centrif. It is his car in the end so do what makes you happy. Those car look pretty good with a big roots sticking out of the hood if you ask me. Maybe if you set your goal this question would be easier to answer. If you are just shooting for lets say 500HP then go stroker you don't need a blower to get there. What is the car used for?

Royce

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.