Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: Just got my new exhaust put on and would'nt you know it, the very next day I blew a head gasket!!! :mad: It's a 72 chevelle 350 auto. My question is, since I know that the water has mixed w/ the oil and has been circulated through the engine, am I gonna have rebuild the whole darn engine now or just have the heads fixed??? :sweat: I know it would be best do just do the whole engine, but I am on a low budget and since my wife is going to school now, I really need to fix it soon so we won't have to keep sharing one car.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Well... could be a blown head gasket, cracked block, cracked head, intake, or just a blown intake gasket. Lots of things could cause this. Especially if you did'nt apply enough sealant around the coolant ports between the intake manifold and the heads(maybe even timing cover).

And No, you dont have to tear the motor down, just change the oil. You may have some coolant left in the oil after the repair and change so dont freak out too soon.

good luck!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I have'nt noticed any leakage from the heads. The leakage is all coming out of the exhaust recycling tube on the valve covers. The leakage is flowing out pretty rapidly and it does not wait until the car warms up. As soon as I crank it up, the water and oil mixture starts shooting out of the valve cover tube. The only other thing I can think of is maybe the intake manifold. About a year ago (before I left to go to Iraq on the USS George Washington) I swapped my 2 brl for a 4 brl. It had a minor oil leak around the intake, but it still ran pretty good. So I guess all indications are pointing to the intake huh? :rolleyes:

Another thing, I put a rochester quadrajet on and it bogs down when I get on the gas pretty good. If I go ahead and buy a better intake manifold, will it help this problem of slow throttle response?? :confused:

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,810 Posts
Sounds like bad ring seal and copious amount's of blowby.

Tighten the secondary air door to cure the bog at low speeds and high loads. A new intake is not the cure.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
unless you have a cracked block, you don't need to rebuild it. Drain your coolant and oil and put it back together. You may have to change the oil again if you notice its still getting dirty from leftovers, other than that, don't worry about it, you're fine. Crap like that happens all the time, just take care of it soon.

K

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How far do you think I'll have to break the engine down to fix it (just to the the intake or down to the heads)?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts