Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K guys....I've been a bit LAZY lately and haven't been able to get out and check out what's wrong with my F-150. The thought of being out there in the cold testing forever is not too appealing to me right now so.................I'm hoping I can get a few suggestions from a few people. Been having problems with that truck acting like it's missing (at all speeds) and fuel mileage has been a joke. I did finally get this nasty exhaust leak I had taken care of and it actually helped quite a bit but it still acts up. I noticed one night when I had it running, that there is this blue aura around my ignition coil and it travels down the wire to the distributer then through some of the other wires. When you touch the wires...(yes I am an idiot! lol) They glow brighter. I can't say I've ever seen this before and I doubt it's a good thing. That next day, I checked the cap and rotor. Although they were only a few months old, they look like CRAP! You'd think I already drove 100,000 miles on them. I did have another set of wires on hand and swapped them out. They stopped glowing for awhile but it came back after just a couple days. I really am hoping someone is gonna know what this is cause I'm not looking forward to standing out there testing this and that and this and that to pinpoint the problem. Oh and just cause I got a kick out of it I just gotta mention this....I grabbed a spark plug wire tester, grounded it to the engine lift mount and before I even got the tester itself within 15 or so INCHES AWAY from the ignition system area, the thing lit up!!! 15 inches away not touching ANYTHING and it lit up!

·
Registered
121 Posts
i have heard of using automotive ignition coils to create "Telsa Coils", little lightning machines, kinda like those globes you can buy with lightning in them. The incredible step up in amperage causes effect. I would check the supply voltage to the coil and maybe replace the coil, for starters anyway.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
???

The first thing i would try is...... get your self some di-electric grease and coat the coil around the poles where the 12 volt wire attaches, also do the side where the wire goes to the distributor. you might want to do all the spark wire ends at the cap and plugs also.

try this and let us know what happens....

Keith

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
if it is an old style coil,try hooking up a known good coil up to it once and see what happens.i have trouble with my wires and header heat.insulation wrap is so expensive that i started using gas hose on my plug wires.cut to length and slit it length ways and wrap the plug wires.so far it works gret.if is really close i double wrap it.try that and see if the spark still gets lose.at nite you will always see some ignition spark.

·
wind & fire = guides to power
1,529 Posts
Well I for one wants to see this! If you got a video cam send me a tape!

·
Registered
721 Posts
My 1989 F-250 with an EFI 351 had almost the same problems. (didn't look at it at night) rough running, poor performance expecialy under power up hill, and poor gas milage. I changed the wires, cap, rotor and plugs. That cured it.:thumbup:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, I'm going to check that thing out more in the morning after I get up. I guess I forgot to mention the coil I have on it is new...already replaced it thinking maybe something wasn't right with the other one cause it did it too. That wasn't the problem. I am thinking I have some type of bad ground on something or I am just getting WAY too much power flowing through the coil. This coil has a plastic type of housing the goes around the outer metal edge. It glows a constant blue over that area. The plastic itself is glowing. Basically anywhere that that you touch from the entire coil through the wires and even the distributer cap glows when you touch it. You don't have to touch the outer rim on the coil for it to glow, as I said, it glows constant. The wires are a sometimes kinda thing. Sometimes the glow is constant, sometimes it like it's in waves and sometimes they don't glow unless you touch them. I don't doubt at all that it's normal too see "some" ignition spark at night but this is just way too much to be normal. I am pretty sure I am misfiring based on how the cap and rotor looked. They are cooked. Tracking all over the place. The nipple looking part that contacts with the rotor button is ground away pretty bad. I am suprised it's still even working to be honest. I would post a pic of this so NXS could see it but all I have is this crappy digital camera that won't take pics at night. lol I'll let you guys know how it goes then. OH- come to think of it, the other coil also had another problem....maybe has something to do with what's going on. The plastic (neck) leading up to the terminal had eroded away and allowed the spark plug wire boot to become loose and it was shooting sparks down to the bracket that the coil was mounted on. Possible cause of what ever happened happened? I'm thinking it may have started frying something but don't know.

·
The Smell of Nitro in the morn
2,411 Posts
What part of getting wires, cap, rotor and plugs don't you understand? :confused: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WHAT PART OF ME REPLACING THEM DIDN'T YOU GET? ALL OF THAST HAS BEEN REPLACED.

·
The Smell of Nitro in the morn
2,411 Posts
Quote:
That next day, I checked the cap and rotor. Although they were only a few months old, they look like CRAP! You'd think I already drove 100,000 miles on them. I did have another set of wires on hand and swapped them out. They stopped glowing for awhile but it came back after just a couple days.

Were the other wire's new? Not described and taken for old.
If the cap/rotor was bad again they should have been replaced also.
Bad wires puts the hurt on the rest of the system because it cannot deliver the spark and will follow the least resistance of path.
Are the wires properly installed and using the wire seperator's, or just laying around?
I would like to see a picture just to see the system set-up.

·
wind & fire = guides to power
1,529 Posts
1BAD80 said:
Ditto with Pony, get some good wires, not accell.
I agree. Accel looks good but the only product of theirs I would choose to run is the solid core wires. Everything else is worse than stock in my oppinion. AND the solid core wires are not good for Fuel Injection Vehicles or Stereo Equipment.

If you do choose to run the stock wire something to look at is the plugs. Are they resistor plugs? I choose to run NON-resistor plugs personally.

I suspect that an all out race car using a stock HEI with non-resistor plugs and wires will produce more current at the plug under compression than a MSD with resistor plugs and wires. I feel as though I can almost guarantee it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sounds like bad engine ground. Try regrounding the engine and check the hose connections to the water pump for electrolosis. If you are experiencing a bad engine ground usually the water pump hose connections will distort their shape from round to a lumpy shape.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts