1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
The OLD GUYS here need to support this; :welcome:

http://www.shadetreemechanic.com/mississippi_blue_dot_bill.htm

SEMA may have more states on the list.

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?ID=/content/SEMASANcom/HomePage

[highlight]Am Looking For Factory/Aftermarket Speed Parts For The MEL (MERC-EDSEL-LINC-TBIRD) Engine Family (383-410-430-462) Produced From 1958 To 1968

Also Early FORD Special Service Tools[/highlight]

-Mercury-Edsel-Lincoln- Engine Forum

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
not to be argumentative . but what is the big deal with the blue dot lites, I had them on my 34 and nixed them after I had one to many close encounters with others not able to see the stop lites,, The only time they look cool (if you will) is at night, I know the after market folks love them I just wonder what the rod world connection is ?

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I agree. I have them on my 53 and they just aren't visible at night. Will be replacing them with something brighter next spring once the house is done and I can work on cars again.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Lynx Eye Blue Dot Stop and Tail Lamp Lenses and Common Sense

In most states the only colors of light you can show from the rear on a vehicle are RED (tail and stop, turn and emergency flash.), White (license lamp and backup), Amber (turn signals). Show anything different and you are in violation.

Blue dot lenses are neat-o looking, you know, the "purple glow", BUT there are several things to consider before using them.
1. They are a voilation in most cases.
2. In daylight hours if you hit the brakes often the only thing that lights up is the DOT! Not a good idea when being followed by a little old lady in a 76 Caddy, is it?
3. Many early lights have very small lenses and installing a dot reduces the effective light available considerably, for example, 37 Ford, 37-39 Chevrolet.
4.The motoring public is hardly aware of blue dots and even less likely to see your lights while they're admiring your car by driving into the back end of it.

Some rodders take a set of plain red lenses and install them before a trip to a national event or vacation run. When they get to the event, they install their blue dotted lenses, then remove them for the trip home. Hopefully rodders pay a little more attention to vehicles around them than John and Mary Public.

One thing everyone needs to do is periodically clean their tail lamp lenses, both inside and out!! While you're at it, brighten up the inside of the can by painting it Gloss White. Scrub the inside of that lens with a toothbrush and soap. Dry it, go buy some 2357 bulbs and install them rather than the 1157 you've been using, and install the lens. The 2357 bulbs have the standard tail lamp candlepower but much, much brighter stop/turn candlepower, a great improvment over the 1157. To see the difference, clean and paint and install 2357 bulbs in one tail lamp only, then compare the two while a friend operates the switch and pedal for you. Better put on those sunglasses before he hits the brakes!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts