Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
When I am not tooling around in the fire chicken, my daily driver is a 99 BMW 328ic convertible with an auto tranny. On the way home from work today I got a P0740 code from the check engine light. The code translates to a Torque Converter Circuit Malfunction/shift solenoid Valve "A" problem. No slipping, hesitation, etc., etc. Car runs and drives like new (72000 miles).

Anyway, I did some research today and found that this is not a big deal and most of the time can be cleared by changing the tranny fluid. Just wondered if anybody else has ever dealt with a similar or identical code on any car and how it was rendered. Hate to take it back to those crooks at the dealer if i know i can fix it myself. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
same thing

i have a 528i and im getting the same code p0740 the light comes on then goes off on its own for a while. the guy at the tranny shop tells me im gonna have to change the torque converter / clutch or somethin its drivin me nutz. let me know how you make out or any other suggestions besides the fluid changing.

·
Registered
498 Posts
P0740 is a solenoid PERFORMANCE code!!
This means the computer is not seeing a RPM drop when the TCC solenoid is commanded on because the TCC is not holding. Driving a car with a malfunctioning TCC apply WILL MELT the trans. This MAY be a valve body, pump or torque converter problem. Fluid changes will not solve this issue. P0740 indicates that the solenoid functions, but there is no subsequent transmission mechanical change...
Hurry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.