Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

Try Wesmarine (or West marine) not sure on the spelling.

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
215 Posts
why not buy one from an auto parts store?...

I have owned boats for years and refuse to pay marine prices. Only thing marine I will buy is electrical stuff(starter, altinator,...)...and even those I have my doubts about.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
gilby246 said:

I have owned boats for years and refuse to pay marine prices. Only thing marine I will buy is electrical stuff(starter, altinator,...)...and even those I have my doubts about.

From what I understand, (and I'm not a Boat guy..) Oil pans for inboard service are specially made to fit the application, with extras like attachments for oil pumping for oil changes (Because you usually can't get under the engine in a boat) and other things..

But then again, I'm not a Boat guy....

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
gilby246 said:

You mean like $ 477 for a Motorcraft voltage regulator for a Cessna airplane? Those silver "FAA approved" stickers are expensive..... LOL.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
xntrik said:
You mean like $ 477 for a Motorcraft voltage regulator for a Cessna airplane? Those silver "FAA approved" stickers are expensive..... LOL.

And...$400. bucks for an A&P to put it in and test it..then sign the log...

TSO id's and log entries are very "spensive.."..

·
Registered
215 Posts
xntrik said:
Exactly, In my opinion its all BS. Just one more way to squeeze another hard earned nickel outa my pocket by saying Marine must use marine products (or your case aeronautical).

Doc- I have pulled apart a few of my boat engines and have not found any differences between marine or automotive pans….of course neither boat of mine was bought new so who’s to say they weren’t changed out by a previous owner.

Forgive me, Didn’t mean to hijack the thread…. Save yourself a buck, Buy one from AutoZone, mail order or where ever

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Doc here,

And...$400. bucks for an A&P to put it in and test it..then sign the log...

TSO id's and log entries are very "spensive.."..

Doc

$ 60 labor anyway. ;) Ordering the part, making $ 38 on it, then 1 hour for pushing in and out, change, test, and sign off... shop gets $ 98 minus piddly $ 16-19 to A & P. Somebody has to pay for the building and keep the help there when times are slower. :)

You remember the story about the old lady at McDonald's who got $$$$$$ for spilling hot coffee on herself.

Airplanes are a lot like that.

What do you call a bus load of lawyers.........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts