Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Official Solventologist
66 Posts
I've seen it demo'd also Brian. It is a cool idea but if you do the math on the cost per gram of filler it is a whole lot more expensive than normal filler even if you take the waste filler in consideration. Your material bill will go up but it may pay for itself in labor savings. Let us know how it works out for you guys.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the first impression is not good. The hardener had a clog in it. So to "bleed" it out you have to waste the filler!

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa167/BasicsofBasics/100_0173.jpg

Then, when it was being spread out I could see that it didn't looked mixed. Sure as poop stinks, it remained gummy in areas!

This is the part I don't like, you don't know how much hardener is being added! Yeah, the color, that's it. But the whole idea with this stuff is you go right to the spreader with it, well buckaroo it's too damn late, you are dispensing it!

So far, this sucker gets a big zero from me. I am not even sure I can ask the guys to use it anymore. They are gun shy, something about having to remove half cured filler from the car that they don't like.

Brian

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
MARTINSR said:
Well, the first impression is not good. The hardener had a clog in it. So to "bleed" it out you have to waste the filler!

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa167/BasicsofBasics/100_0173.jpg

Then, when it was being spread out I could see that it didn't looked mixed. Sure as poop stinks, it remained gummy in areas!

This is the part I don't like, you don't know how much hardener is being added! Yeah, the color, that's it. But the whole idea with this stuff is you go right to the spreader with it, well buckaroo it's too damn late, you are dispensing it!

So far, this sucker gets a big zero from me. I am not even sure I can ask the guys to use it anymore. They are gun shy, something about having to remove half cured filler from the car that they don't like.

Brian
I can see the fail in the pic, that mixing tube is far to short to provide adequate mixing.
Take a look at a HILTI epoxy mixing gun, the mixing portion of the tube is over 6 inches long.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,859 Posts
I see the words 3M on it, that's a shocker. I would think they would be a bit more diligent in their research than this, what a disappointment.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Old Fool said:
I can see the fail in the pic, that mixing tube is far to short to provide adequate mixing.
Take a look at a HILTI epoxy mixing gun, the mixing portion of the tube is over 6 inches long.
It is much more than a mere "mixing tube" it's a little turbine! The friggin thing has this little propeller looking dude in the mixing tube that is spinning pretty fast and "chopping up" the filler and hardener!

I'll have to shoot a video of it to post. It is wild!

Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.