Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The body mounts on my 38 Dodge humpback panel truck are rusted out so bad that there is no connection to most of the body. The frame mount is OK. I have no idea what it is supposed to look like. I've been trying to find pictures of how the floor supports are supposed to look, but haven't had much luck. How do they attach to the body sheet metal, etc.? Thanks

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Body mounts

If the original bady mounts are gone..what condition is the rest of it..?? Floor pans and rockers..that sort of thing..

Some of these old bodies require that we weld in reinforcement frames made with square tubing to help hold it together..I use 0.60 wall for this..the tube is spot welded to the floor pans and rockers..I just through bolt the body mounts tho you can if you wish install blind nuts and nut plates on the body to accept bolts from underneath..You may wish to organize some rubber vibration isolators between the body and chassis.

The under body reinforcement is arranged to meet to chassis mounting points and we put in some reinforcment points to pick up seat belts and such..

If you are hotrodding the car this is fine..If you are going for a 110 point restore of course there wiil be a lot of study to get it back to original..

Suggestion is to take a look under some other cars to get and idea of how the factories do it...usually some kind of reinforcing is welded to the floor pan and rockers..

hope this helps with some idea of how to get started on this..:welcome:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Body Mounts

Thank you for your info. Actually, this truck had a metal frame around the perimeter. The floor was wooden slats. I want to put a floor pan in and modernize it a bit without changing the look. The connection of this floor frame is what I'm looking for. Especially at the rear of the door at the "pillar" and the side of the truck. This is hard to find. There are no examples of this truck anywhere near me. I'm sure that other trucks of this nature have basically the same connection. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts