Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am at the point where I am trying to decide to take the body off the frame or not. I pull out my trusty manual for the car and realize it has 18 bolts holding the frame to the body. Now I understand you want to bolt the body on and make it secure, but is that overkill? The reason I ask is that I need to either replace or remove one or two of the mounts that are used to bolt up the body. At this point I am thinking it may not be needed and that I can probably just let it go.

The car is a 41 Buick BTW.

·
... & Insanity Ensues .....
933 Posts
the reason for all those mounts is simply because the body has no structural strength , and its needs to be attached to the frame every 2 feet or so to keep it from flexing.

when you pull the body off the frame to do a restoration, its typical to use at least 6 points to support the body ... and thats just to have the body sitting still .... think of how many points that would mean it should have to roll down the highway at 80mp or to go around a few corners at 50

if you were to leave out 2 of the mounts, expect the body to not line up w/ the doors / trunk / windows after a few thousand miles, and after that dents will start to appear in different places that are under stress from the lack of support ... the same kind of damage stock body / stock frame drag cars get after a few dozen hard 1/4 mile passes

1 - 2 of 2 Posts