Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a set of polyurethane body mounts because the stock ones were too rotted to reuse. Here is the problem these new mounts say to use the factory sleeves. Well those are also rotted. So what do i do to be able to safely put this thing back together? Thanks guys and I sure hope someone has the answer. I really want to get this put back together.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is not much of anything of the sleeves left and I guess a better question would be what is the point of them? They are to large for the bolt to actually fit properly, it seems that I could use a couple of large washers and have the same effect. I know that this is probably not true, but I truly don't get what there purpose is. Hopefullly you guys can shed some light on this for me.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
The sleeves on my pickup were basically just steel tubes that fit into the rubber bushing, and provided a hole for the bolt to fit through. I had to cut one shorter to work with the new polyurethene bushings, and it did not seem to be hardened steel (I used a tubing cutter). I think you could find the right material at place that sells steel bushings.

Bruce

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys its a 77 nova.

I was thinking of using steel tubes and weld to home made heavy duty washers my issue is that the originals fit the original bushings tight but have a whole lot of slop around the bolts. I was thinking I would get tube that fits tight to both. Even if I use 2 different pieces of tube one inside the other but then how long do I make them. I was thinking an 1/8 inch shorter then the bushings so that the bushings can still do there job. Yet the tube would have a tight enough tolerence to hold bolts and keep sub frame from becoming mis aligned if that makes any sense.

Thanks for your help guys, this one really has me stumped.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
The purpose of the tube is to allow the bolt to be tightened properly, without squeezing the bushings to the point of failure. They should not fit tight on the bolt, so there is room to move the body to get things aligned.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah so is it then ok to have them fit to the bushings? I believe thats how the old ones were. And is an 1/8 inch shorter then the uncompressed height of the bushings acceptable length for the tubes?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.