Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you get the body off a truck with out any lifts (in a simple home garage)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Dreadlord said:
How do you get the body off a truck with out any lifts (in a simple home garage)
A jack and cribbing. or have some freinds come over once you have it unbolted & stripped down and just lift it off by hand.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,339 Posts
I have removed a lot of bodies, cabs, beds, etc. I have never used any kind of "lift", "sling", block and tackle, nothing. A few friends is all you need.

The trick is to remove everything, doors, windows, seats, etc.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey
( A little of topic but Martinsr I love your work!!!!!!) But back to it, what about those cars where the panels aren't bolted or screwed but welded. Would that be a home job? And how would you removed that!
THanks
Troy

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,339 Posts
Troy, thanks for the kind words. There are only a few cars I know of that fenders are welded on. But outside of that all cars hoods, deck lids, doors come off. As far as a unibody, all those same panels come off them as well, only you can't pull the body off the frame. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey man
No probs bout the kind words they're nothin but the truth but they still can't express how good I feel your work looks! Thanks for the explanation! Makes sense lol! God bless
Thanks
Troy

·
Registered
77 Posts
question go doorless?

Hey Martin, I highy respect your input on these forums and have picked up a lot of pointers from you, even to the extent that I am a total bodywork virgin and am about to start with my first body restore but I always thought that the doors would stay on to keep the body from flexing and tightening up the gaps? mind you this would be on a chevelle with rusty quarters and roof.
should I go door less? thanks...

·
Administrator
18,432 Posts
With a Chevelle, I would jack the body up, with doors and brace it on wooden beams high enough to roll the frame out. We have done it this way, and it works well.

A Chevelle body is quite strong and shouldn't flex, unless it is real rotten.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts