Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get advice on how to repair body work that's 60 years old.( on a 1941 car ) The hood has been pancaked , fender seams have been filled in with lead too. What I have noticed that the under side of all seams need more support to prevent cracks from showing up. This is a custom rare car that was done by using a stick welding and lead. I want to work on the underside of all seams by giving more support by using new type of products. Would seam sealer work on the underside where seams were joined together ? Or use something else? I do know how to make my own metal panels, Thanks for your advice.

·
Grand Prix user
5,443 Posts
What type of seams are in question? Assuming overlapped without stepping and tacked every so far along the seam... redoing the seams with butt welds and no lead would be the modern approach and, with proper shape of the finished panels, eliminate the need for added support. In other words, if it wasn't done well by today's standards... redo it. If you wish to preserve the existing work... well, cracks will always be cracks. If so, and the car is to be running and driving and you suspect vibration will be an issue, maybe apply some adhesive backed sound deadener inside the panels, that might help it last. A little.

Pictures are going to be a must for solid input. Show us what you're dealing with.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The overlapping seams on the hood. ( it was a stick welds, lead and some rivets ). When people see the car they go into shock because of all the work, Pancake Hood, custom dash and cowl, windshield and smooth fenders and doors. The cracks in some areas are small, just a 1-2 inch long. It was a barn find. I drive the car 5-6 hours to go to car shows. I post a side pic. Thanks for your input...Duker

1 - 3 of 3 Posts