Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got lucky,,i think :sweat: ibought a 1941 plymouth super deluxe 4 dr. suicide// it,s complete but sat for about 35 yrs. not bad body wise.. but i would like to put it on a more modern frame,and a sbc. i have an extra 64 impala frame,, think it would fit ?? if not i,m certainly open for suggestions.. thanks a lot : :thumbup: R C

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The 41-48 Plymouths have a very strong and substantial stock frame. You can buy conversion kits for disc brakes for the stock front suspension and comfortably use the stock dual spring rear suspension with your new 8" Ford or 10-bolt Camaro rearend. All the parts are available to rebuild the front end for these cars.

Car and truck frames are designed to fit under the bodies they were designed with. The full frame swap using a late frame with an early body is really too much work for the benefits received. Better to use the original frame and use a Camaro/Nova/64 Chevy or whatever clip on the front or a Mustang II based crossmember and suspension kit that the "shortcut" method that isn't a shortcut at all.

To be blunt, the usual result of a late car frame to early body swap is a ruined body and a junk car even if it does run and drive. Most of these efforts are worth significantly less on the sales market than a properly built car or truck. Over the years so many good old cars and trucks have been destroyed by owner's well-intentioned efforts to achieve this "dream-swap", and the junkyards have been their next home to be parted out and forgotten.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,460 Posts
I second that. There are some VERY rare cases where there is a similar frame that works in a swap. MOST of the time it is MUCH, MUCH more work than modifying the original with modern brakes and steering.

That Implala frame for instance would be THE WORSE, the ABSOLUTE WORSE you could ever want to swap under your plymouth. Get under and look at it! It is an "X" frame with no perimeter rails!!!!!

It has "bastard" steering and supsension parts used ONLY from 58-64 with a huge, ugly coil sprung rear. FORGET that one.

Find a forum (that may be here, I don't know) where there are some guys who know that Plymouth well and can lead you in the right direction. Hell, they may know of a frame from a late model car that swaps in there easy, there ARE a few rare cases as I said where it actually works.

Brian

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Second what Brian said, the frames won't work without a BUNCH of fabrication and messing around..

Keep the stock frame.

Get a fatman mustangII stub frame and get rid of all that plymouth front end stuff. ( a stub frame of clip is necessary on those plymouths because the stock frame doesn't let you fit "just" a crossmember) You could use, as pasadena has said, a clip from another car, I ve never tried one so I don't know what would match up easily.

The steering box on that plymouth is in the wrong place, and it is a miserable job to set any kind of V8.

I have done a 41plymouth with a fatman front end, and I have put a 350 in a 48 plymouth with the stock front end. (I won't do that again)
I am getting ready to do another 48 with a fatman. The conversion is well worth the time and expense. (The 41 and 48 frames are very similar, if not the same.)

Put a modern rear axle on the leaf springs and you will be set.
Later, mikey

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.