Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone my name is jpherigo. I am hot rodding a 1941 Plymouth 2 door sedan. I never did this before so have A lot of ? I took the car all apart (body wise) fenders front clip and so on. I have been sanding it down with a d/a sander and 100 grit paper. do I need to use etching primer and if so what kind
should I mix and spray or is the stuff in the aerosol can any good? I want to do this right but cheap as I can ( I have six kids! ) thanks

jpherigo

3,214 Posts
There is alot of information available here. Most of this has already been covered many times. If you have the time, read the past posts or do a search on specific topics.

Here is some information to get you started.

If you are stripping it to bare metal, you should cover it with epoxy primer as soon as possible, as the metal will develope rust quickly. Best to follow manufacturer's recommendation on the proper grit to sand to. Epoxy from SPI (http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/) recommends 80 grit on bare metal. After the epoxy is applied, you can do any filler work or use a 2K primer. If there is patching to be done and welding, simply grind back the epoxy, and re-apply new epoxy when done.

The epoxy primer has several advantages. It seals out moisture and air, protecting the metal from corrosion. It also provides a great foundation for the rest of the work you need to do.

As far as the aerosol primer..... Stay away from it. It is not worth the trouble it will cause.

Aaron

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.