Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I sand my car down to bare metal, can I add bodyfiller right away on the bare metal, and then prime it ?

Or should I sand it down to bare metal .. etc it .... then spray sealing stuff ... and then apply body filler ... sand it smooth .. and after that .. spray primer ?

Can one use the regular Bondo body filler ?

Never done this with a car before .. last time I did it was when I was stationed at a naval small boat repair house.

Any info is helpful, thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
No expert here, but the answers should be YUP, YUP, YUP. Some like epoxy primer before filler, some swear the other way. Even companies making products disagree. I myself going the sealer first since mud will attract moisture. Sealing back and front side of filller from moisture seems smart to me for long life of filler. I have also stripped old cars with just filler on em, and they held for years. My concern is for my old cars body protection in the long run. I think both ways work, but my opinions should be enough to start another long thread here. Oh yeah, Bondo, YUP.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, you are right everybody has an opinion on stuff like this. I like to get her to bare metal and work all the rust and hand work the sheet metal every place I can find and do all my mud work here.Bondo is OK to us if used right. I like evercoats Z-grip mud. Holds good sand really good and about $10.00 a gallon. You think about the moisture for the rust. Only two thing make rust and you must have both (air and water). If the metal is clean no oils from your hands no water from your air blower the mud will be there for years to come. Work it the best you can,sometimes it gets hard to feel the dent between the metal feel and the mud feel. If you use guide coat and block it off you should be able to prime and block it out.

Good Luck
Chaotic

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.