Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All.
What size bolts do I need to hang my block on the engine stand? I know I need like 3-4 inches lomg, but what size?
Also, When you change oil. Does the new oil fill the filter up before going into the pan or does it go into the filter after startup? Tnx, HG

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
I'd get bolts longer than the bellhousing bolts for the stand. You can always "washer them up", but you can't make them longer when needed.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
3/8"-16 (course thread) and you will want grade8 and need them about 2 3/4 - 3" long (I like to use 3" that leaves room for washers. It will depend on the stand as well, one of my stands has longer (stand-offs) and the 3" work fine there as well.

The length depends on the stand you use, some are longer than others.

I always pour oil into my filter, during an oil changes. I hate to see the oil pressure gauge sitting at zero for thos few seconds.

Royce

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Oil

camaroman7d said:

I always pour oil into my filter, during an oil changes. I hate to see the oil pressure gauge sitting at zero for thos few seconds.

Royce
Doc here:pimp:

Royce,
:thumbup: Good Advise!

Always fill the Filter before you install it...and remember to put a bead of oil on the gasket with your finger...Then hand tight, plus a quarter turn.

If your going to start a Fresh engine on a stand, you might want to pop the distributer out and pre oil it with a drill and a BIG screwdriver shank (you may have to sacrifice one by cutting the handle off) To avoid a "Dry Start".

Doc:pimp:

·
Time is short, are you ready?
655 Posts
docvette said:
Always fill the Filter before you install it...and remember to put a bead of oil on the gasket with your finger...Then hand tight, plus a quarter turn.
What about those Phord engines? At least the Crown Vic I recently bought. I went to change the oil and filter and was shocked to see the filter is installed horizontally. That makes draining it less mess, but forget about filling it before you start the engine. The Phord engineers removed that option. :mad:

Ed. www.edgesz28.com

·
Registered
118 Posts
but forget about filling it before you start the engine. The Phord engineers removed that option
You should still be able to get it at least half full - I figure any oil in the filter is a good thing when you start it...

·
Time is short, are you ready?
655 Posts
paperairplane said:
You should still be able to get it at least half full - I figure any oil in the filter is a good thing when you start it...
You're probably right. Plus, any that spills out is conveniently located above a tie-rod joint. Perhaps that was their plan, drain the oil and lubricate one of the steering link joints (lol). Ed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.