Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
The most critical thing about bolting an automatic trans and engine together is to make sure the torque converter is full seated in the trans pump. To do this place the torque converter in the trans and while slowly turning it push the converter into the trans. When the converter engages the pump fully you will feel it slide back a little. When it does that push it in a far as it will go. If the converted is not fully seated when you bolt the engine and trans together you will destroy the trans pump.

NOTE: Do not use the bell housing bolts to pull the trans and engine together, that is a good way to crack the trans case.

Vince

·
World Class ASE tech
704 Posts
The engine and trans should go together easy. with no binding at all. DO NOT use the bolts to draw the 2 together. You will break the trans. The converter should spin free after they are bolted together and the converter will move about 1/8" front to back. Then bolt it to the flex plate.

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,306 Posts
the two most common newbie things seem to be, "they won't go together because the converter hits the flexplate." that is identified above. The other one seems to be, "should there be 1/4" between the converter and flexplate?" and the answer is yes. You're supposed to have to pull the converter back toward the flexplate a little to bolt it up.

I put them together (making sure that the mating surfaces are clean) bolt them together, then I go under the car and put the bolts in the converter. It helps to have someone with a wrench on the crank since only one bolt is accessible at a time. I like to use blue threadlocker on the bolts so they dont' work their way out.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Another suggestion about tools - the ratcheting box end wrenches come in very useful to tighten the trans to engine bolts and the torque converter bolts. They are thin enough to fit in places you can't use a normal ratchet and socket.

Bruce

·
Registered
301 Posts
Guys -

I don't know about DWC1234, but I found your posts above to be some of the most helpful info that I have read on the forum lately - and just at the right time!! I'm planning to join-up my 700R4 to my SBC 405 this weekend!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

texastomeh

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.