Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ladies and gentlemen,
My name is Roger. I’m new to the group. So I’m building a Pontiac 400. The car is a 1975 Formula Firebird. The engine I’m building is a 1969 YS code 400. (Yes I know I will have to buy the motor mount adapters) the bottom end is done and I’ve actually already put the cam in the block. I decided to go with Spotts Performance and I bought his HCP01 cam and lifter set. Here’s the basics of the cam. Operating range is 1800-5500. It has a 103 “N” crank, factory rods, that’s been fully floated, spiral locked, and resized with arp fasteners. (I wish I would’ve just bought an aftermarket set) KB forged flat tops. The block has been 0 decked, line honed, and of course punched 30. So the cam I chose I felt would be a great decision for this setup. The car weighs almost 3250. It has a th400 with a shift kit, it’s a 10bolt with Richmond 4.56’s. It’s an 1/8th mile car. I WILL be switching to 3.42’s hoping I can run an 1/8th in 1st and go through the lights wound tight in 2nd, then still have high gear to drive it home. It is a street car. There’s a 2200 rpm stall going in place of the old 1800 rpm stall that was in it. I have an edelbrock performer (clearance issues using a performer rpm with the hood, and the hood is 100% staying) the performer has a old school Holley 800cfm spreadbore on top. So the HCP01 with my comp cams full 1.52 roller rockers produces @.050 224* and 234* lift is .466” int and .487” exh. Lobe separation of 114. I can easily elongate the pushrod holes in the heads to accommodate 1.65’s if need be. Paul advertised the cam as having a noticeable lope, good idle, and great vacuum. Which is important……street car with power breaks. I do have a tiny shot of nitrous I was planning on hittin it with eventually. Like a small 100-125 shot. The car has a set of 6x-4 heads on it that’s been cleaned up, not truly ported, just the intake runners cleaned up very nicely. Really wanting Marty Warden to get them for me, but anyways, this is the one and only iron headed Pontiac I will be building. The next engine I’m hoping will be an MR1 with Kauffman high ports. The car was my Dads, well he passed 2 years ago and sold the car about 5 months before passing, well I tracked the car down and bought it back. I have a set of 28”x10.5 slicks that will be on the car if anybody needs that information as well. The car is super light! About the same as a gt fox body. I was REALLY thinking about throwing a set of Rhoades in it and just going with the ole glory “041” RA4 cam honestly. Or the Comp cams xtreme energy 268H. It’s a 1600-5800 rpm range, and Dur @.050 is 224* int and 230* exh. With a lsa of 110* I need some help with this seriously! This was my Dads car when I was a kid and this car meant the world to us! Oh yeah, Pertronix flamethrower HEI distributor. Also has longtubes with 2 mufflers turned down as soon as they exit the muffler. I want this car to make my Dad proud up there. That’s all. Thanks for any help y’all can give me very much!!!
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Sky

1 - 1 of 1 Posts