Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the booster in my '74 Chevy K10. The old one was not assisting at all and the engine would stall when I pressed the brakes. Bought a replacement at Autozone (Cardone) and now when I press the brakes the idle comes up a couple hundred RPMs then goes back down to normal. If I hold the brake pedal down, the idle will return to normal after a couple of seconds.

From looking at the service manual, it appears the booster has a valve that closes the rear chamber to vacuum when the pedal is pressed and only opens it back up to vacuum when the pedal is released. Brakes are working fine. So, is this "new" booster leaking as well? Thanks for the info.

Mike

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
If it is a Cardone, it is most likely bad. Their parts are junk. Do yourself a favor and buy an oem or get one at the junk yard.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I installed a new check valve with the booster.

I originally ordered an "AC Delco" from Rockauto. It had an AC Delco label on it, but it said "Re-manufactured for" on the box and the part was in the same box and had the same tags as the Cardone. I don't think you can get decent parts anymore :( I guess I'll be pulling it back out. Thanks guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.