Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my master cylinder/ brake lever setup on my sedan. I do not have an external return spring. My brakes seem to work just fine, and the pedal returns nicely (as far as I can tell). I keep seeing posts talking about return springs. Question is, do I really need one? I have GM discs up front and Ford 11' drums in the rear. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
I don't have one on mine though there is a 'mod' that I've seen that uses a spring around the push rod. I have a spring just in case, but so far haven't seen the need. Simple to add if you feel that it's needed.

·
Certifiable Streetrodder
371 Posts
The reason for the return spring is to not rely on the master cylinder internal spring to return the pedal. I always put one on, it's cheap insurance, I have fixed more than one customer car that has dragging brakes as the pedal assembly is too heavy and the internal master cylinder spring has become weak and wont allow the master cylinder piston to return fully,maintaining pressure on the brake calipers/drums.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
brake lites ?

If you have a mechanical brake lite switch, your lites could blink on or stay on while driving. The brake pedal that came with my Rocky mountain Brake Kit has a tab for a return spring.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
spring ???????

let me say this about that.. when i first finished my bucket i didn't use a return spring either.. took it out for a test drive and it didn't feel right.. needed more power to get running.. after the tow truck brought it back ($60). i found out my peddle did not return far nuff and was closing off the brake line opening and holding pressure... a $3 return spring solved that problem..

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have tried lifting the brake pedal with my toe while driving, to make sure it is returning fully. So far, it has been, every time. Looking at the original factory setups, I see lots of under-the-floor master cylinders with a rubber boot on the shaft, but no springs. I guess I'll keep checking, and add one later if necessary. Thanks for everyone's input!

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
I have on my 34 that goes around the actuation pushrod and it works just fine. It was another one of those things I worried about when building the car that turned out to be non issues.:D I have also seen posts that suggested to not have a return springs will be hard on your MC.

Vince

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Vince, Appreciate the input. What puzzles me is that I can't find any original under the floor mastercylinders/brake pedal arms that have springs. I have only seen them on streetrods. Firewall mounted masters seem to all have return springs.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Vince, Appreciate the input. What puzzles me is that I can't find any original under the floor mastercylinders/brake pedal arms that have springs. I have only seen them on streetrods. Firewall mounted masters seem to all have return springs.
I found the same thing I guess that is a nich filled by the return spring arrangement I used.

Vince

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.