Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1979 malibu... i had a friend redo the wiring for the taillight harness... he used new wire to every socket and now the problem is when i hooked it back up to the main harness connector in the trunk only the drivers side lights work and my gas gauge is stuck way after the full mark. is this a ground wire problem??? or a case of my friend not knowing what he is doing???

·
Registered
30 Posts
Light problems

you should definitely disconnect the harness before you burn you fuel guage up, at he bottom of your steering column there is a flat harness that you can check your wiring. Your brake lights go through the turn signal switch then take a ohm meter and check where you wires are going. If you have a friendly neighborhood auto repair shop you can possibly get a diagram of the rear lights Does your vehicle share the same bulb with the blinker and the brake light or are they separate

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

Pull the sender unit wire from the tank..The fuel gauge should not move off full..If not , then ground the sender wire, the gauge should dive for empty.

If so The sender and gauge are working and that circuit is whole.

Your problem will probably lay in the fuel tank / sender ground. Put a jumper to the Fuel line / sender egress panel on the tank and ground it, check your gauge, it should read accurately, if so..add a new ground to your sender / tank from the frame that is properly bonded.

As for the Brake lamps, After you confirm the grounds to the left side are properly bonded to ground, and have cleaned the sockets and pads,

CAREFULLY place a DVOM set for V X 50 or autorange on the brake lamp pad at the socket (It will be the brightest filament on the bulb.) and have someone step on the brakes, (or jump the brake lamp switch.) you should read 12 volts at the socket.

If it is dead, FOLLOW the colors back to the body plug, and test the front side of the plug (the one from the column) if it is dead, you must follow it back to the column.

If it has power, you must inspect the plugs and clean and burnish both sides and inspect for bent or burned pins or pulled wires.

If it is good you will have to hand over hand the harness until you find a cut in the wire (usual spot is where it enters the trunk under the seat) . If you find one, you will have to repair or replace the wire. (BE advised, if it is a flat ribbon type cable, it will not solder and probably not hold a crimp, these are brittle aluminum wires..and a bad idea from GM..you will end up having to install a new wire.)

IF it is dead at the column back..you will have to inspect the plug at the bottom of the column, as before, and be sure all pins are clean and the plug is seated all the way in. If it is still dead , most likely you have a cut in the harness inside the column, you will have to pull the TS switch and inspect the internal harness.

Good Luck!

Doc :pimp:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts