Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm making new steel brake lines and I can only find one brass fitting in the local parts store but they have the steel nuts. Is there a difference between the two beside the rusting of the steel ones. I've always used brass not sure about the steel. What are all of your opinions? Thanks

Dave

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm making new steel brake lines and I can only find one brass fitting in the local parts store but they have the steel nuts. Is there a difference between the two beside the rusting of the steel ones. I've always used brass not sure about the steel. What are all of your opinions? Thanks

Dave
I prefer steel personally, like connecting the brake lines to brake cylinders, calipers, master cylinders, etc. As does the OMs.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
With OEM fittings which are steel, you get into double flares. With double flares, you get into correct sealing as well as strength which is a plus with using the steel fittings. I'm not sure that you can even purchase a brass fitting that will use that double flare. My recommendation is that you use steel fittings - and yes they will rust, but don't over tighten, don't use any loc-tite and use the correct wrenches and you should not have a future problem.

·
Old(s) Fart
6,077 Posts
With OEM fittings which are steel, you get into double flares. With double flares, you get into correct sealing as well as strength which is a plus with using the steel fittings. I'm not sure that you can even purchase a brass fitting that will use that double flare. My recommendation is that you use steel fittings - and yes they will rust, but don't over tighten, don't use any loc-tite and use the correct wrenches and you should not have a future problem.
Uh, no. The single/double flare pertains to what you do with the end of the tube. It has nothing to do with the fitting. ALL 45 degree inverted flare fittings, whether brass or steel, are dimensionally equivalent. Both work. The steel are stronger, the brass don't rust and are strong enough. Your call. I typically use steel for the flare nuts that go on the tube, but the fittings are typically brass. Haven't had a problem in 40 years of doing this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.